Phillip Phillips' Family

'Idol' Champ's Forcing Us

To Sell Pawn Shop

11/3/2012 6:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0612_philip_philips_pawnstore
Phillip Phillips
' family says the singer left them high and dry after winning "American Idol" -- refusing to help them out financially -- and now, they've been forced to sell their cherished family business ... Phillips family sources tell TMZ.

The Phillips family-owned Albany Sporting Goods and Pawn -- which has been in the family for 24 years -- is scheduled to hit the auction block on December 1st ... and we're told, Phillip's dad hopes to use the profits to cover the family's mounting debt.

We're told Phillip's dad hopes to bring in between $200,000-250,000 during the auction.

We're told Phillip's family has reached out multiple times to the singer for financial help since he hit it big, but Phil has blown them off.

According to Phillips family sources, the family's especially hurt by the singer's radio silence -- since they spent a ton of money on travel expenses so they could see Phillip compete on "Idol."

We made multiple calls to Phillip Phillips over several days -- but our calls were not returned.

Erica

I personally believe, my parents gave me my life. If they ever needed anything from me, wether it's financial or anything else, if I could help them in any possible way that is the very least I could do. He should at least call his family not just blow them off like that, at least tell them why you would rather not get involved in their financial situation.

kathy johnson

to me he didnt force them to spend the money to come see him perform, they chose to do that. Although he could help, it isnt his resposibility to bail all his family out, and he may save his money in case he has problems in future, plus he just had a good size medical bill, i am not going to knock him becuae he isnt bailing someone out for lots of money

BigWill

I feel that what Phillip Phillips is doing is truly sorry. This just really shows the person Mr. Phillip Phillips is. I think it is a real low blow what he is doing to his family. I hope Mr. Phillip Phillips's career comes to complete ending. It will teach him.

phil

sadly..thats what wealth & fame does, it dismantles relationships, create feuds, mostly family..or death from overdose. I want no part of it, I rather live a simple life, with simple luxuries. After all, best things in life, arent really things!!

Scott Levy

Wow, what a piece of crap. Call me old-fashioned, but family should come first.

pjenn7107

Lots and lots of info missing. They are not as far as I can tell like the Lohans who started living off of lindsey since she was like 7. I suggest they get counseling as this is going to cause hurt feeling for years to come. I think it takes years to build up a business and a few to destroy it. Maybe living well above their means like a hugh percentage of Americans. Maybe they thought they were better off and by the time they figured out they weren't it was to late. Sorry for the whole issue but they are not the first to loose a family business, nor will they be the last. Maybe they should be selling stuff to help get out of this situation and they better be figureing out what to do next to continue to live. He does not owe them money and maybe he has his reasons why he won't help maybe drugs, mismanagement, living better than they should have been. He lived with them and knows what is really going on. Maybe they always thought he would be big and so he would help?

Kaitlin

Ummm Phillip's dad was planning on selling the shop a while ago. My cousin lives near there and she told me about it right after it got robbed.

dennis

There has got to be more to this...

ruth ann

really sad that his family backed him and now he ditches them........karma will get him

al

LMAO !!

sylvia

I feel differently when it comes to family. Family are with you through good and bad times. And of course you should help your family especially if their in need why not they have been there for you and if this ******* doesn't make it in the music world his family will still be there for him no matter what. This is what fame does to some people they forget where they came from. What goes up must come down.Some children can be ungrateful. I am blessed to have grateful loving children who knows what is the value of family.

KS92868

I doubt if we know the entire story. I think Phillips is a good guy, so stop trying to cause a rift in the family.
Sometimes TMZ you are just trying to make crap out of nothing. Shame on you!

amazingrace

If this is the case and I am not saying it is ~ HIs family are codependent - using shame, fear and greed to get PP2 to capitulate and take care of them or to use him to make them rich. Do any of you remember Fantasia? She used her family to manage her, she trusted them, they did some embezzling and she went broke.
So, My take on this whole thing is - This is PP2's life - He gets to decide how he wants to live it and He gets to make his OWN decisions on who He trusts to manage him. We need to trust his judgement - He has lived with This family his whole life. We do not know the inner working here! *And the other thing is - This story may just be bogus!.

LiLa

Phillip's first album hasn't dropped yet so how rich can he be? I don't believe this story.

Mario

Let's face it, a pawn shop is not going to make money in these hard financial times. People are ginving up their items for money, but not many have the money plus interest to get it back.
Beside Philip is not making much money as an idol. I haven't heard him on the charts. I didn't think he could sing during the competition, so he won't be making the oodles of money his family thinks he has. Beside, with a million dollar contract, they are asking for a quarter of his money. What's wrong with them?