Phillip Phillips' Family

'Idol' Champ's Forcing Us

To Sell Pawn Shop

11/3/2012 6:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0612_philip_philips_pawnstore
Phillip Phillips
' family says the singer left them high and dry after winning "American Idol" -- refusing to help them out financially -- and now, they've been forced to sell their cherished family business ... Phillips family sources tell TMZ.

The Phillips family-owned Albany Sporting Goods and Pawn -- which has been in the family for 24 years -- is scheduled to hit the auction block on December 1st ... and we're told, Phillip's dad hopes to use the profits to cover the family's mounting debt.

We're told Phillip's dad hopes to bring in between $200,000-250,000 during the auction.

We're told Phillip's family has reached out multiple times to the singer for financial help since he hit it big, but Phil has blown them off.

According to Phillips family sources, the family's especially hurt by the singer's radio silence -- since they spent a ton of money on travel expenses so they could see Phillip compete on "Idol."

We made multiple calls to Phillip Phillips over several days -- but our calls were not returned.

Norm

Just maybe his parents are lousy at business, and Philip doesn't want to throw good money after bad. Without all the facts, give this boy a break!

thestupid

If this kid doesnt help his family I hope he gets hit by a bus!

Mike

To Sally A-Mam A-Man

imofanopinion

Reality is this may well be just one of those "lets get headlines" stories. We have no idea what is happening in the family and is is NOT our business if this person chooses to donate to the family crisis or not. Nor do we know why the business is now failing or how they handled finances themselves. To expect someone to support family just because they are family is not always right. I personally will always be there for my kids and they for me BUT we have a very good relationship that has always been strong. If my kids had money and I were in need they would help w/o being asked - so I am guessing there is much unsaid about this situation. Perhaps he feels in these times that the business is not worth saving and better off sold. At least they have something to fall back on which is much more then many out there that have had their pensions taken away etc Silly headlines to try to create problems - like there are not enough already in today's world

PHIL

BULL. I DON'T BUY THIS AT ALL. I DIDN'T WANT HIM TO WIN, BUT THIS IS A GOOD KID. LEAVE HIM ALONE. STAY OUT OF FAMILY MATTERS, WE DON'T KNOW THE WHOLE STORY!!!

CuriousGeorgy

I don't know where they got their information from but if was the family, that is really just blackmail. We don't know anything about his relationship with them. Maybe he has his reasons. What happens next time they think he is not doing enough?

Dorothy

Not one word of this story is true-

Kathy

Yea heard they were selling the pawn shop....heard that well over a year ago......nice try

Ren

So he told TMZ this but yet told local news reporters... "It's kind of a give back thing. I just appreciate everybody in Albany, Lee County. Surrounding counties for what all they have done for us. The support they have given us. And I just want to say thank you again." Besides.... he was home this weekend with his family.....which I am sure you know already!! THIS IS DISGUSTING REPORTING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Piper96

As a parent, I would be ashamed to go to the tabloids with a story like this...if they are a mess financially then it's their own fault and it's not his responsibility to clean it up. He doesn't get his winnings in cash. That 250,000 is a record contract, not a prize payout. I feel bad for this poor kid. All they are trying to do now is humiliate him. He is better off without these lowlifes!

AintDeadYetProductions

His family sounds like a bunch of greedy leeches to me.
They expect him to bail them out? Phooey.
On the show he said he worked his butt off in the pawn shop for them. He makes it big and now he's supposed to support them? They should be supporting themselves.
People nowadays figure they are automatically entitled to what someone else has. That's a crock. People are entitled to what they earn. Is Phil gives them one cent he will be an "enabler" to his lazy parents' greed and demands.
Run Phil, run. Go far. Go fast. get away from them before they drag you under.

charekay

Aren't you proud of the WGWG that you raised Philips family? I say he never should have won and maybe he realize this as well. He knows his time is short. His 15min. is ticking away then he won't know what he'll do. He feel that he must hoard every dollar that he make because it could be his last earnings.

abutterflyloves

I normally love TMZ because of the interesting stories. However how can you print only one side of the story? At least get an inside source from someone that can back up Phillips side. He seems like a nice guy, and the fact he isn't bashing Mom and Dad back tells me there is more information you don't know, rather than actual factual KNOWLEDGE!

jessebella

This article makes me sick. Firstly, I don't believe it for a NY second.
Who ever leaked this? The family had been wanting to sell the store forever and now that they could, they put it up for sale and auction. This happened while Philip was appearing on Idol. They are a very close knit family. He was in a photo doing Halloween with his nieces.
Why do people want to believe the worst of people, especially when they reach some fame?
He is a humble, sweet, unaffected guy who happens to be a family guy and one man woman.
Give it a rest, please.

EDDIE RIVERA

lets all boycut the tour. family always cimes first teach thi kad a lesson and dont buy his records. he is not that good anyway