Phillip Phillips' Family

'Idol' Champ's Forcing Us

To Sell Pawn Shop

11/3/2012 6:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0612_philip_philips_pawnstore
Phillip Phillips
' family says the singer left them high and dry after winning "American Idol" -- refusing to help them out financially -- and now, they've been forced to sell their cherished family business ... Phillips family sources tell TMZ.

The Phillips family-owned Albany Sporting Goods and Pawn -- which has been in the family for 24 years -- is scheduled to hit the auction block on December 1st ... and we're told, Phillip's dad hopes to use the profits to cover the family's mounting debt.

We're told Phillip's dad hopes to bring in between $200,000-250,000 during the auction.

We're told Phillip's family has reached out multiple times to the singer for financial help since he hit it big, but Phil has blown them off.

According to Phillips family sources, the family's especially hurt by the singer's radio silence -- since they spent a ton of money on travel expenses so they could see Phillip compete on "Idol."

We made multiple calls to Phillip Phillips over several days -- but our calls were not returned.

JESSICA

THIS IS EFFIN LIE

Jana

Go back and watch his first American Idol audition. His parents are totally there supporting him and helping him out. I think he owes them something.

phil

Ouch!! Thats what fame does, either that or you die from O/Dose ...thats why I want no part of it...

Melissa

So because they CHOSE to go see him perform on Idol, they feel he owes them money? No he doesn't, if he's not speaking to them, I'm sure there's more to it than they are letting on. He's in no way obligated to bail out his family that I'm sure incured that much debt WAY before he won Idol.

Debra

I am shocked that Phillip Phillip's will not help his family with their Pawn Shop after having so many years and they did help him. Shame Shame to the Idol star. Maybe he should be cut down to size!

kathy

I don't believe he would do something like that...its nonsence.

lucy

Why would he? He won't be able to handle his entire family money issues and even if he did, who's to say they won't expect another handout when things go array again? And unless they were asked to spend all their money on travel expensives so they could support him on idol, then why would they expect some kind of payback? I think his family thought they had hit the jackpot when he won. To bad a young man is having to teach his elders something my father told me since birth...NEVER expect anyone to take care of you but yourself.

sandi

Wow some parents should not be allowed to talk to media. If your son wanted to help you then he would your supposed to travel and support your child not mooch. I love how they are putting the blame on him real classy. If parents are supposed to get anything from this its the satisfaction you raised a good child. And here I thought our generation of adults would screw us.

Isaac

hope his music becomes garbage and he goes crawling back to his family

Bob

must be a typical narcissistic liberal twit.

Marelle Jacks

It was really hard for me to read this, I like this kid so much. I do hope this just hollywood gossip, surely a good southern boy like Phillip would not do this.

marie

Most Idol winners are not successful...just a few lucky ones. Not sure if this kid has what it takes..time will tell.

barb anderson

What is the rest of the story ???

DS

Well, If you really want to know the truth. There is really only 2 possible answers....Either he doesnt like you guys or he is doing drugs. Probably drugs, which in that case means that all the money is gone.

Ashley

Anyone who watched him win saw that he couldn't finish his final performance because he was so overwhelmed and went down to hug his family..
Reportedly, the family has reached out to him several times. Which I imagine is every time they talk to him. All this is telling me is that he's feeling used. I wouldn't want to help either if my family saw MY success as THEIR entitlement.