Judd Apatow

I Wrote Child Murder Jokes

YEARS AGO For 'This Is 40'

12/19/2012 10:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1219_thisis40

Judd Apatow meant no harm in his script for "This Is 40" when one of the characters jokingly plays a "murder game" with his kids.  Judd tells us, he wrote the script 2 years ago, long before the Connecticut tragedy.

The scene in question involves the Albert Brooks' character, who is broke and looking for ways to save money.  The character, Larry, prepares to spray his triplets with a hose and says, "Line up! Line up for murder!  Come on!  Who wants to be killed?"

One of the kids screams, "I do!"  Larry responds, "Okay, we're eliminating one, we're cheaper already," and then Larry sprays the child.

The next kid says, "Murder me!"  Larry responds, "Boom, dead.  You're dead," adding, "All right, the kids are murdered.  That will save us some money."

Judd tells us, the scene "is spoken by a sarcastic father kidding with his children.  In light of recent events, I understand if some people might make an unfortunate association or put it in a context in which it was not intended."

We've learned the scene is staying in the movie, which opens Friday.

1219_subasset_script_WM

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

JDoors

He wrote it two years ago, you know, before there were any children who were murdered.

I understand you could make a case for eliminating everything that could possibly be turned into a joke, no fat jokes, no old people jokes, no gay jokes, no jokes about old fat gay people, but child murder? I think that speaks for itself.

Second Opinion

There's really no story here, TMZ. As unfortunate and horrible as the Connecticut tragedy was, you can't chastise any and every current form of media that could bear some type of unintended association.

jdub

Yikes! Unfortunate timing strikes again.

jill

whether sandy hook happened or not, since when is joking about murdering children considered funny?

HillbillyHell

It's in poor taste, even without the Newtown murders. And...sorry Jughead, it's not even funny.

Angel Morado

I'm very saddened and sympathetic about what happened in Newtown. However, is everything that goes on from this point forward will be a reflection of what happened there in Newtown? I'm very very heartbroken, but it seems every little thing is under a microscope and scrutinize...

TommyJones

So what, now we have to go back and edit any content that has to do with child murder/ death??? Grow a ****ing pair TMZ and the Nation. Tell that long haired ****ing ***got in the TMZ newsroom he's a douche ****! Also, Harvey you ***, how many kids have you murdered over the years with your penis? How about that fat black chick in the newsroom, how many kids has she murdered with her grammar? Also, Judd Apatow isn't funny.

LindsayLohan

*farts*

Paul

Really TMZ??? This is a news story? OF COURSE HE WROTE THIS, SHOT THE MOVIE AND EDITED IT BEFORE LAST WEEK!!!!!! WOW...

Paul

This is a news story TMZ? That he has to explain himself?!? THIS HAPPENED LAST WEEK!!!!!! OF COURSE HE WROTE THIS, SHOT THIS MOVIE AND EDITED IT BEFORE THE MASSACRE!!!!!

Brooks

Just bad timing...but does anyone remember Bill Cosby's Joke: "I brought you in this world, I will take you out!" Just saying...i love Apatow movies...Will go see this... And will continue to pray for the Newtown familes

ohboy

People make jokes, people write songs, and people write movies about bad things. Now because of a shooting we have to alter our senses of humor? I have to alter the way I talk? I have to change my whole life because you p*ssies are so fvcking sensitive? Please. I will still listen to "Pumped Up Kicks", watch and ENJOY a Tarantino movie, and most certainly I will appreciate Juadd Apatow's sense of humor. Nope, I'm not changing. Sad thing what happened to those kids, but I'm not changing my lifestyle over it. Come on bitches, click the Hate icon all you want. It doesn't bother me.

Nobody.Puts.Bieber.In.A.Corner

HEY, YOU STUPID ****ING HUMANS, LET'S JUST BAN ALL ****ING MOVIES WHERE PEOPLE DIE YOU IDIOT MOTHER****ERS WHO ARE JUST LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO BAN! THIS IS GETTING OUT OF HAND YA PC DIP****S!!!

FU TMZ

TMZ is searching for any little thing that has any little thing to do with killing/dying of kids. It's like they want people to feel guilty for not being able to see into the future.

matt

this is getting riduculous...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments