Judd Apatow

I Wrote Child Murder Jokes

YEARS AGO For 'This Is 40'

12/19/2012 10:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1219_thisis40

Judd Apatow meant no harm in his script for "This Is 40" when one of the characters jokingly plays a "murder game" with his kids.  Judd tells us, he wrote the script 2 years ago, long before the Connecticut tragedy.

The scene in question involves the Albert Brooks' character, who is broke and looking for ways to save money.  The character, Larry, prepares to spray his triplets with a hose and says, "Line up! Line up for murder!  Come on!  Who wants to be killed?"

One of the kids screams, "I do!"  Larry responds, "Okay, we're eliminating one, we're cheaper already," and then Larry sprays the child.

The next kid says, "Murder me!"  Larry responds, "Boom, dead.  You're dead," adding, "All right, the kids are murdered.  That will save us some money."

Judd tells us, the scene "is spoken by a sarcastic father kidding with his children.  In light of recent events, I understand if some people might make an unfortunate association or put it in a context in which it was not intended."

We've learned the scene is staying in the movie, which opens Friday.

1219_subasset_script_WM

Hamptonsdude

It's a bad, unfunny movie, which few people will see. What's the difference? This is just to drum up publicity other than the fact that the movie stinks.

YorkieLuv

I doubt any sane parent was going to take their child to see a film that is clearly for adults, before the lost of so many innocent babies & adults.

The film is done and should be played as it was intended.

twicedamc

People are so soft, and ignorant.

Maverick

This is just TMZ being a rabble-rouser and agitator.

It's ironic when these West Hollywood boys at TMZ get all uppity and prudish, when, of course, they dish more crap than the National Enquirer.

Chicks02

When I read script it reminds me personally of the scenario of playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians with kids. Do you know how many times I have been killed. Seriously America it's a tragedy but if this is what it boils down to editing movies and not playing songs. Then we were to blame a LONG time ago cause this behavior was NEVER frowned upon, but encouraged. Whats next dads cant drive cars and take kids to school??? what about all the INFANTS that get left/forgotten in cars??? why isn't there some kinda no dad takes babies rule lol. YES it is sad but there was/is nothing that can change what happened. MY OPINION

braintrain

Good job tmz....stir the pot. I got one....tmz "toddler massacre zone" uh oh everyone stay away from tmz they're too offensive in these trying times. Do some real journalism for once....idiots

am

common. don't you have anything else better to report. how about the terriable gun laws. who needs an AKA to shoot a deer. you are grasping at straws. I thought TMZ was much better than this. And leave Ke$ha alone.

David Sauers

TMZ thanks for posting that. I was actually looking forward to seeing this movie, but as of now TMZ just save me $50+ (family of 4). Trailer looks funny. It just goes to show, you can't judge a movie by its trailer. All you can do is hope for the best.

Jordan

Judd Appatow is saying that it was a Joke written 2 years ago, if you walked out of your house and witnessed a grown man saying to children Line up for Murder who wants to be Killled, the first thing a person would do is call Child Protective Service on that man. So where is the Joke?

Throwback kid

I refuse to watch his movies until he stops putting is skanky wife and untalented kids in every film, they are awful

am

common. Don't you people have anything better to do. It was with a hose not a gun stop grasping at straws

Louis

I saw a screening of this film , it is the worst film Judd Apatow has made, it will for sure be a bomb at the box office. That scene wasn't funny and neither is the whole movie. A few laughs put basically soooo bad. I wish I could have that 2 hours of my life back. Don see the movie , don't see it on DVD. The one review that says it was the best movie must have got paid to write that or shouldn't be reviewing movies for a living, seriously.

Randog

Wow this is a story....people needed to just relax

Keith

It is NEVER OK to joke about murdering kids. Where is the humor in that? In the wake of Sandy Hook to release this movie without cutting this offensive scene is inexcusable! People should boycott this movie - from the trailers it looks like garbage anyway (typical obnoxious Jewish "humor") but I suspect the notoriety of this scene will just make more idiots flock to the movie theater.

Sonja

What the hell? Yes what happened was a horrible tragedy. It's only too bad that as much focus, disgust and outrage would be directed at the actual elements of the tragedy itself instead of this chest thumping finger pointing nonsense going on now with every song, joke, word, game or movie that is now being linked up to what happened. Stop worrying about things that were said or written in the past and start talking about what happened at that school. About the how's and why's and what we can do to better limit it ever happening again.. Jesus Christ.