Huell Howser

Cause of Death Revealed

1/15/2013 3:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0115-huell-howser-getty-doc-launch
TV icon Huell Howser -- who hosted KCET's "California's Gold" for 18 seasons -- died after a battle with prostate cancer ... this according to his official death certificate, obtained by TMZ.

Howser passed away at 2:35 AM on January 7 at his home in Palm Springs, CA ... just a short time after he quietly and unexpectedly retired from TV.

According to the death certificate, filed with the Dept. of Health, Huell's remains were cremated ... and his ashes were scattered at sea ... off the coast of L.A. County.

Huell -- who worked as a reporter for "Entertainment Tonight" back in the '80s -- was never married and had no children.  He was 67 years old.

Teb5000

RIP HUELL

Jo

I knew Huell from the 1970s in Nashville. He was a home-town guy on a local affiliate covering special-interest stories. I had no idea anyone outside of Nashville had even heard of Huell Howser, so I was quite surprised to see that he had passed and that TMZ covered it. If TMZ had not covered it, then I – and others like me – would have never known he died. And, when I read of his passing, I immediately wanted to know how he died; not for sensational gratification, but because I cared about him, so I appreciate TMZ's coverage. There is nothing inappropriate about TMZ covering his death.

Regarding the speculations of Huell's lifestyle and of how he died despite a valid death certificate accompanying the story, unless any of you actually work in that particular coroner's office and have first-hand knowledge that a crime has been committed by the coroner, then you are not in a position to speculate on other causes of death.

Also, this man lived a full, fruitful, generous life and brought joy to so many people, yet all some of you can fixate on is his sexual preference. What POSSIBLE business is that of yours?

Look, it's NOT 1984. It is 2013. Being transfixed on whether someone is or isn't gay isn't just ancient; it was already passé YEARS ago. The only people caught up about that are small-minded, ridiculously-stuck-in-the-1980s relics.

And, before some of you accuse me of being a "flaming liberal," you should know I am a strongly conservative Christian who lives in the South who doesn't agree with a homosexual lifestyle. I am not homophobic; I have no fear of homosexuals. However, even I know that it is ridiculous to make that a subject of discussion when considering the life of a good man. Those of you who think you are being clever with your ugly attempts at gay jokes are just children. And ignorant children at that.

Oh, and I apologize to children everywhere for lumping them with the ugly, hate-filled people I am referencing.

Huell was much loved in our area, and it was a sad day when he last signed off the air to embark on greater opportunities. He was missed then, and will be greatly missed now. Rest in peace, Huell. God bless you and comfort those who loved you.

LindaPP

Even going in for very frequent exams wasn't enough.

LindaPP

I saw this on another forum: "Countries nuture celebrities whose unique fame dies at the border: strange homegrown creatures that only locals could love". That's Huell! But the quote is from a Feb 2013 Vanity Fair story about British child-molestor Jimmy Savile

LindaPP

He was the most annoying guy on TV. His bizarre voice and his putting the accent on the last word ina sentence made me cringe. He acted like an buffoon and kept repeating people's answers back to them. He should have been a kiddie show host.

Ed Gauthier

Why does this "story" even exist? There had been no disagreement or controversy whatsoever about what caused Howser's demise. Not only is it not worth scandal-craving TMZ's attention, it's not even worth mentioning in a small town newspaper. So why the fuss?

DancingSpiderman

Rest In Peace, Heull.

One of the few guys in California who was not a Fakey-Jakey ! Miss you, buddy.

Top Tacitrun

I just found out yesterday, of Huell's demise and I was totally taken-a-back on account that, despite me not knowing him personally, his TV persona was truthful. sincere, honest and inviting. He was "California's Gold"- RIP

PAYBACK IS A BITCH

TO ALL YOU HATERS, OUT THERE, JUT REMEMBER, WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND, AND EVENTUALLY YO'LL BE FODER,
FOR THE NEXT GENERATION OF *******S