'Dear Abby' Creator

Pauline Phillips

Dead at 94

1/17/2013 11:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0117_dear_abby_pauline_phillips_2

Pauline Phillips --the woman who founded the "Dear Abby" advice column -- died yesterday at the age of 94.

A rep for Phillips tells TMZ ... Pauline had been battling Alzheimer's disease.

Pauline's daughter, Jeanne -- who took over the "Dear Abby" column -- says ... "I have lost my mother, my mentor and my best friend."

She adds, "My mother leaves very big high heels to fill with a legacy of compassion,commitment and positive social change. I will honor her memory every day by continuing this legacy."

"Dear Abby" first appeared in print in 1956  -- and eventually grew to a daily readership of 100 MILLION.

Pauline's twin sister was advice columnist Ann Landers -- who died in 2002 at the age of 83.

During her career, Phillips used the pen name Abigail Van Buren -- she used the name "Abigail" from the wise woman in the Old Testament and "Van Buren" was adopted in honor of one of her favorite presidents.

0117_remembering_pauline_phillips_footer

Amy

Dear Abby, THANKS!!! Glad you made it 94 years! Loved you!

There's a problem here

Abby and Ann Landers were ladies from an era where manners and courtesy still had value. R.I.P.

Terry

I thought she died before her sister.....

whateveryou

She inspired alot of women at a time when most were still tied to the house w/ apron strings. She lived a long interesting life & had a mind of her own. All any of us can ask. RIP.

Twiz

Heaven now has two outstanding advise givers!!!

Kelly

I liked her. She was nice to the gays.

wow ew

RIP. I used to read both their columns religiously in hs.

DeeMaree

Dear Abby always gave such common sense practical advise. There is little enough of that today. Thank you Dear Abby.

roll3567

so long know it all.

Fareed Ansari

EasilyHard

That sux..hopefully she has a Column somewhere in the beyond

hi

Me too I thought the same

Fareed Ansari

May Allah have Mercy on Pauline and forgive her shortcomings and Grant her the Paradise. Before there was Oprah there was Dear Abby. She was in a class by herself.

DaveT

I miss Ann Landers and the way she would beat herself with a wet noodle whenever she decided the readers were right and she had been wrong, how many advice writers do that?

hi