'Idol' Finalists

The Show Is NOT RACIST

1/27/2013 1:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0125-melinda-doolittle-vonzell-solomon-casey-abrams-taylor-hicks-getty
Four "American Idol" finalists from different seasons -- two of whom are black -- insist the singing competition is many things ... but racist is NOT one of them.

TMZ broke the story ... nine black ex-contestants are planning to sue "Idol" producers, claiming the contestants were publicly disqualified based on their dubious criminal backgrounds ... solely because they're African-American.

But Season 6 finalist Melinda Doolittle adamantly disagrees, telling TMZ, "It is shocking to see such allegations. In my experience on the show, the 'Idol' team strives to champion everyone, regardless of race. However, each contestant is explicitly told that the withholding of information that may compromise the show or artist, can and will result in immediate disqualification."

Season 4 finalist Vonzell Solomon adds, "I didn’t experience any of that [racial discrimination] ... all of our contracts were clear about how the background checks worked and that we could be disqualified if we lied about our past."

Two other former contestants -- Season 5 winner Taylor Hicks and Season 10 finalist Casey Abrams -- also agree.

Casey says, "I don't know why they are biting the hand that fed them. Those guys beat thousands of people who wanted to be on TV. Idol is picky, but I'm not sure about racist."

Taylor -- whose Vegas show is still going strong -- adds, "American Idol is for everyone.  All walks of life go through the show.  Not once did I see the show discriminate towards anyone.  It’s all about the votes."

FYI -- "Idol" has had three black winners in its history ... Ruben Studdard, Fantasia Barrino and Jordin Sparks.

Fox and "Idol" producers have yet to respond to the allegations.

KittyKittyKitty

Yikes!

heather

PuLEEEEESSSSS

Lucky_130

Taylor Hicks and Casey would know

Jordan

If anyone should sue it should be William Hung for getting the Boot. How many Asians made it through?

KanyeWest

We need more news

joecrabs

Being black is great. Anytime I don't get my way, I just say that so-and-so is being racist and I automatically get my way. And when I screw up at work or get caught sleeping, I just say that my boss is being racist, and it all goes bye-bye. Not having to be accountable for anything, and using my race as a crutch is great.

Liss

yeah... let's play the race card, losers...

Jordan

Does anyone really remember who any of these people are anyway.

jabberjaws

When is this garbage show gonna get cancelled.mariahs t*ts r the best part.

EasilyHard

This Fake azz case makes Lindsay's child star defense credible

rhode

People have said before that reality shows have the right to ask if you have been arrested or jailed for any type of incident. No one should be able to claim racism if they f@ck up in the past and producers want to know about it so it doesn't tarnish their show.

Purple Label

Poorly written article by TMZ to get the unwashed masses (you know who you are) worked up

Sally

Of course American Idol is not racist. These people just want their 15 minutes of fame and possibly money because they cannot make it on their talent.

Stiletto

It is their right to sue. In the same way I'm suing the Los Angeles Lakers. They turned me down after my tryout just because I'm white! Oh, they tried to say it was because I'm 53, 5'9" and shot nothing but air balls...BUT I KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON!

charles

and there is also no lip-syncing. So it is almost like a clean bicycle race.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments