« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

USA Wrestling Legend

Furious After Wrestling DROPPED from Olympics

2/12/2013 8:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0212_rulon_gardner-02
It's a DEVASTATING day for wrestling fans ... after officials announced the sport will be 86'd from the Olympics starting in 2020 ... and now one former gold medalist is lashing out.

TMZ spoke with Rulon Gardner --  who won gold in 2000 and bronze in 2004 before going on to appear on "The Biggest Loser."

Gardner tells us he's "appalled" by the International Olympic Committee's decision to drop the sport -- saying, "As a two time Olympian, I think it's a shame to drop the sport of wrestling, one of the original Olympic Sports."

Gardner says he knows there's a SLIGHT chance wrestling could be saved -- but "seeing the hardship baseball has been through, I am not too confident."

Still, Gardner says he will do everything he can to bring back the sport he loves -- "I don't think we have heard the end of this."

Don't worry -- field hockey will still be included in the 2020 games. Seriously.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Whocares

Second! It is a shame but Canadian shuffle board is a "sport" according to the Olympics so nothing should surprise us.

hammonator62

Tell them like it is Rulon!! When the Greeks created the Olympics, I don't think they had badminton in mind as a sport. Wrestling was an original event!

Mumra the Ever Living

A true sport has been dropped from the Olympics, but Mitt Romney's dancing horse is still in.
WTF?

Carl

How ridiculous. That was the most normal of all the sports on the list of ones they might cut. They are keeping the modern pentathlon, which is an obscure sport using horses, but cut this.

grumpiestoldman

This is from the ***** who quit Biggest Loser because it was to hard to do.

HRH Prince Michael

Yet another victim: Estrogen O.D.
R.I.P.....Olympics.

The House of David 2 Chronicles 13 Victory, is HERE:
www.all4webs.com/x/w/all4yahweh
www.flickr.com/photos/72265268@N08
NOW, The Most Holy Christ King Yeshua reigns!

Carl

To add to what I said above, wrestling is one of the original olympic sports from 2000 years ago! How can you cancel that.

Truth

WRESTLING MAY BE AN ORIGINAL SPORT BUT IT'S F*CKING BORING TO THE MAX. DOESNT GENERATE ENUFF AD REVENUE. DATS THE REASON FOR THE 86! #TRUTH!!

Keyser Söze

This gonna be the first Olympics in the history of manking without any wrestling in it...

The IOC just made themselves look silly as all sh*t.

Larry

He doesn't love the sport too much or he wouldn't have quit it....twice!!!!!!!

Jordan

I guess Wrestling in the Olympics was Just as Fake as wrestling in the WWE!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Leslie

but they're going to keep horsie jumping - pathetic

blair

if you didnt watch the wrestling in the olympics then shut up and nothing changes for you

4reallikecomon

GOOD...NEVER SAW THAT CRAP AS A SPORT ANYWAY....WHO WANNA SEE GUYS GRAPPLING AT ONE ANOTHER

chubbs McBuff

I am not a wrestling fan. But how can you not have wrestling in the Olympics? it's one of the first sports I think of when I think of the Olympics. I am seriously outraged. I am sure this is only temporary. they will realize their mistake and bring it back.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments