Steven Tyler

I Spent $5 Mil on Cocaine

2/22/2013 2:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0222-steven-tyler-tmz
Steven Tyler says he "snorted half of Peru" over the course of his drug-addled rock career -- easily spending at least $5 million on cocaine before he finally kicked the habit.

The Aerosmith singer revealed the drug numbers on Australia's "60 Minutes" this week, saying he spent a fortune on booger sugar as a young rock star ...  "Probably, realistically, 5 or 6 [million], easy ... You could also say I snorted half of Peru, but, you know, it's what we did."

Tyler's been open about his former drug addiction for a while now -- telling Matt Lauer back in 2011, "I needed that cocaine. I needed it." But he said it ruined him, adding, "It took my children away, it took my marriages away. I was on my knees."

Tyler sobered up in the mid 80s but later relapsed. He was diagnosed with Hepatitis C in 2003, which he believes he contracted as a result of his intravenous drug use.

Tyler's been in and out of rehab numerous times, but now considers himself sober.

Japes

linda

That's NOTHING to brag about that's for sure :(

Kelly

I don't think he's bragging. He's just being honest. I've seen Aerosmith in concert so many times and no doubt he's was geeked up on something the way he was all over the stage.

youdontknowme

Stop with that "what a world we live in" because not everybody does this. I hate when people do that.

mousetrap

God Bless you, Steven. I understand your struggles. Addiction is a very mysterious thing. You can be so sure you never want to use again, and sincerely mean it, and then turn right around and do it. The only people that really understand it are other addicts, and even then we struggle to make sense of it. For me it was alcohol. Some hardcore addicts, like Alice Cooper, totally snap out of it. Others struggle for a very long time. No one knows why. It is a mystery. But good luck to you, and we know you are a good person and your heart is in the right place.

SoBluOctober

And this surprises who? Gotta say this man gives one hell of a kiss tho.....and I'm a lucky girl that knows...... Thanks Steven....still love ya!

Mrugowsky

I pity artists that let drugs control them. Temptations are always there but have respect for the craft.

Dave

Steve you should try resolveminerals.com for your hepC worked for our other mates......left some for you at the maui house....

Teach172

And he looks it!

LISA

WTF? The 'relapse' was for pain meds (not cocaine or booze). I'm pretty sure Steven Tyler (64), quit cocaine in 1988. He went to rehab in 2009, but it was for pain meds and pain management. He has had chronic pain for about 13 years (a result of accidents on tour).

LISA

I came across a really crazy pic of him after one of his accidents ... I feel so mean, but I just had to share:

Leighton

Consedering the nasty things drug dealers do smuggle drugs in, is enough to not make want to try them.

trini_angel

Surprise! Surprise!

madman-stephan

He gets his bug powder from Interzone...

mallball

UGHHHHHHHH!!!! SOMEBODY LIED!!! (Rick Ross voice)