Carrie Fisher

HOSPITALIZED

After Bipolar Episode on Caribbean Cruise Ship

2/26/2013 10:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0226-tmz-carrie-fisher
Carrie Fisher
was hospitalized following a bizarre performance on board a Caribbean cruise ship last week -- and her rep tells TMZ, it was all caused by the actress' bipolar disorder.

Video footage surfaced of the performance -- which took place last week on board the Holland America Eurodam in the Caribbean -- showing Carrie slurring a couple off-key songs. Her dog even POOPS AND PEES on the stage while she's singing. It's pretty nuts.

There were reports Carrie -- who was featured on the cruise as a "surprise" celebrity guest -- was wasted at the time of the show ... but her rep says the on-stage breakdown was caused by Fisher's bipolar disorder.

The rep says, "There was a medical incident related to Carrie Fisher’s bipolar disorder.  She went to the hospital briefly to adjust her medication and is feeling much better now."

Carrie -- a recovering drug addict -- has publicly discussed her bipolar disorder in the past. The rep says it's unclear if Carrie will return to perform on the cruise ship again.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

tj

She seemed fine to me....I enjoyed the clip. Leave her alone, stop being mean TMZ.

susun gallery

I wouldn't have first identified her as a recovering drug addict, she is a brilliant actor and comic. Drug addiction is derogatory, yet a symptomatic dilemma of someone having to live with a broken mind. She still has to take them, and it is not a pleasant dependency.

Coco

She seems fine to me, a few drinks and having fun with the crowd. What's the big deal?

Julie

She's completely honest about herself, and that's what I admire. She is unpredictable and always interesting. . .

marksp

Zoinks! Princess Leia is losin it "P

Geoffrey711

I was there on the couch with her and often on the cruise. She is sober! No drink or drugs. She is a brilliant woman who had an episode. It broke my heart watching her try to get focused. She's in my prayers.

Frankly True

I was on the cruise and saw the perf. She was not drunk or bizarre, yea the dog pooped, if anything it added to her chat, and it was more a chat with friends than a performance. Wry observations and hiding nothing, I also sat with heron the Tender to the priv island, very nice. The other time I saw her she was attending an AA meeting on the boat. She felt among friends...and she as.

Zachary

I have Major Depressive Disorder and it went undiagnosed for years because I was afraid of the stigma. I was hospitalized after I tried to kill myself with pills, but I am on medication and am doing much better now. The first medication which my psychiatrist prescribed me had terrible side effects, but the second one which i was prescribed thankfully worked. My life would have been so much easier had I been diagnosed sooner. I recommend that anyone who suspects that they might have a mental illness see a psychiatrist right away. The longer you wait, the worse the illness gets. At least that's how it was for me.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7