Stone Temple Pilots

FIRE Lead Singer

Scott Weiland

2/27/2013 9:13 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0227-scott-weiland-tmz
Stone Temple Pilots
has unceremoniously FIRED its lead singer Scott Weiland ... who's been the face of the seminal rock band for more than 20 years.

The group released an ominously curt statement today, saying, "Stone Temple Pilots have announced they have officially terminated Scott Weiland." They don't give any further explanation.

It's pretty shocking for several reasons ... the main being Weiland has been a core member of the group since it came together in 1986. His voice has become synonymous with STP's sound ... on hits like "Plush," "Sour Girl," and "Sex Type Thing."

Another reason this came out of nowhere ... Weiland denied rumors he was leaving the band just yesterday, telling Rolling Stone, "STP has not broken up. I haven't quit. I haven't been fired."

Rumors of a split began a couple of months ago when Slash said STP had fired Weiland.

STP reformed in 2008 after a 5-year hiatus and toured through last year -- but apparently it hasn't been working out.

So far, it's unclear who STP has in mind to replace Weiland ... if anyone.

Weiland is set to launch a solo tour next month.

0226_scott_weiland_footer

ben

So basically STP is in need of a new drummer and some guitarists

Quiet

Effen junkie. (Scott)

Tray

STP...RIP, without Scott Weiland you aren't much of anything. I wouldn't know any of you if I tripped over you.

William j

This dude is the biggest junky ever!! I saw him when they first formed velvet revolver and it was hands down the worst concet I have ever seen!! Scotty was all doped up and was rambling on incoherently between songs!! The highlight of the night was watching one of my childhood idols SLASH SHREAD THE AXE!!

Blair

TMZ idiots. He's been fired at least least twice before, once early on when the remaining three members went on to form a band called Talk Show.

Jessica

I was at the concert in Houston where he completely lost it and they had to cancel the rest of their tour because he just couldn't keep it together. He showed up two hours late, he barely sang and just wanted to tell stories about doing drugs and how his wife had left him. The band would have to start playing the next song to get him to shut up, it was a mess. I can't blame them for getting rid of him, he's had plenty of time to get it together.

Phreaky

Love him and cannot imagine STP without him.

nycbunny

Back on heroin?

Todd

they are dead in the water without scott . will be another **** band with another singer type of thing .

Tony H.

As much as he is the voice of the band, I don't blame them. They have given him how many chances thus far? Three? Four?

Buzz's girlfriend...WOOF!

He still looks effing amazing! Id hit it for sure. lol stp will be back together again someday!

IndyMike

But he is the band. He is STP.

Steve

This may be a shot in the dark but I'm guessing this might have something to do with Scott's ongoing heroin addiction...

NOT ELMO

Me hears One Direction is Hiring...

Truth

STP is nothing without Scott so the 2 Deleo brothers should just hang it up. I pray and hope that Scott gets his act together. Great talent and energizing front man.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments