Stone Temple Pilots

FIRE Lead Singer

Scott Weiland

2/27/2013 9:13 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0227-scott-weiland-tmz
Stone Temple Pilots
has unceremoniously FIRED its lead singer Scott Weiland ... who's been the face of the seminal rock band for more than 20 years.

The group released an ominously curt statement today, saying, "Stone Temple Pilots have announced they have officially terminated Scott Weiland." They don't give any further explanation.

It's pretty shocking for several reasons ... the main being Weiland has been a core member of the group since it came together in 1986. His voice has become synonymous with STP's sound ... on hits like "Plush," "Sour Girl," and "Sex Type Thing."

Another reason this came out of nowhere ... Weiland denied rumors he was leaving the band just yesterday, telling Rolling Stone, "STP has not broken up. I haven't quit. I haven't been fired."

Rumors of a split began a couple of months ago when Slash said STP had fired Weiland.

STP reformed in 2008 after a 5-year hiatus and toured through last year -- but apparently it hasn't been working out.

So far, it's unclear who STP has in mind to replace Weiland ... if anyone.

Weiland is set to launch a solo tour next month.

0226_scott_weiland_footer

Legend

Weiland has been on drugs for so long, I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner. Don't get me wrong, I love STP and I will miss the vocals he brought to the band. But the constant battles with heroin would cause anyone to say Enough is Enough! Sorry Weiland, you should concentrate on getting clean for real, for once.

johnnyS

End of a very rocky road for a great band. This is one of my favorite STP playlists:

antonius

No Scott Weiland = NO STP. Simple. Too bad. One of the coolest bands to hit the scene.

CyndiChainsaW

STP axes Scott Weiland lmao. Scott is STP. Sorry DeLeo bros, but no one is going to see your version of STP. I've seen you guys at least 3x. Awesome show, awesome lead singer! It doesn't matter, your fans have your back Scott! Yeah, dude has had some AOD issues, I really hope he's in a good place now. At any rate, I'll check out some solo Weiland. It's all good.

MCosta8778

STP sucks

Good riddance!

"I am, I am, I am
I said I wanna get next to you
I said I gonna get close to you
You wouldn't want me have to hurt you too, hurt you too?"

Lots of good times listening to their tunes. Sounds like he might be back on the junk tho and that would suck....

Missy

Great band & great singer but he must be using again, which is sad.

True Blood

Scott is and always wil be STP, without him there is no band. I know my rock music and he is one of the greatest frontman ever. Love him!!

Tesla_Consulting

Stressful.

dryasdust

One of my fav bands live. I love Scott. Amazing performer. Bummer for the band

SivaSiva

This is not the first time he has been fired...He got fired from the band before and they replaced him with the lead singer of filter. I saw them on some late night talk show (maybe Jay Leno?) years ago with the filter dude. It was horrible, and didn't work out obvi. This happened shortly after they released shangra la di da.........Or did I just dream this?

darren

scott should join alice in chains the new chains singer isnt that great. That would be a bad ass band.

witchlady

Scott Weiland
23 hours ago via mobile
Per Scott Weiland:

I learned of my supposed “termination” from Stone Temple Pilots this morning by reading about it in the press. Not sure how I can be “terminated” from a band that I founded, fronted and co-wrote many of its biggest hits, but that’s something for the lawyers to figure out. In the meantime, I’m looking forward to seeing all of my fans on my solo tour which starts this Friday.

Nicola Carpinelli

I am the original singer of of what became this band, never once did they ever mention me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQkZBAmGzL0

c

Time to go back to Velvet Revolver.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments