India.Arie

I Didn't Mean

To Look Light-Skinned

3/29/2013 10:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0329-india-arie-5
Afro-centric singer India.Arie -- famous for singing about her "Brown Skin" -- is now making excuses for the extremely light-skinned photo on the cover of her new single ... telling friends, her skin was NOT intentionally whitewashed.

There's been a lot of commotion about the new photo -- ironically, for her new song, "Cocoa Butter" -- because India's skin is noticeably lighter than what she really looks like ('memba Beyonce?).

But sources close to India tell TMZ, the criticism is ridiculous ... because the "lightened" skin is merely the product of the camera flash and angle. India never asked to be lightened.

But the fact remains ... India approved the photo, and HAD to notice it wasn't a true reflection of her skin color.

India just tweeted, writing, "Personally speaking! i'm happy to say I have NOT BLEACHED my skin LOL! ROTF at the thought."

She added, "1. I wouldn't endanger my health that way 2. i'm so in love with myself I have no DESIRE to BLEACH myself. 3. The GLOW you see IS (magnificent) lighting 4. THE LIGHT you see, Well thats all ME!!"

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

Lynn

Black people get darker in the Summer and lighter in the Winter. I know this for a fact because I am black and I have to change my makeup foundation based on the time of year.

jazzplr11

So what! She wanted to look good for the pic.

snowboardchick

Who. Gives. A. ****.

lili

she looks awful. very pretty when natural and dark.

Nancy

I hope that India not trippin I love and have so much respect for her music, taste and style the way she is "Brown Skin, not worried about her hair, her lips our her thighs. I'd be very sad if she were bleaching.

Sincerity

Realistically, the vast majority of entertainers wouldn't be recognized in public without their heavy theatrical makeup -- PERIOD!!! People who have "CHOCOLATE COLORED" SKIN, will have a tendency to "DARKEN" more readily when exposed to the sun and it doesn't take much. I know because I have "CHOCOLATE COLORED" SKIN. India.Arie's "TRUE SKIN COLOR" is actually displayed in the 2012 picture on the right. Just look at the arm holding the microphone. Her inside "UPPER ARM" is noticeably "LIGHTER" than the rest of her arm. This skin hasn't been readily exposed to the sun like that of her face, upper chest and outer arm areas. It's not unusual for skin in "UNEXPOSED AREAS" to be considerably "LIGHTER" than the skin in "AREAS REGULARLY EXPOSED TO SUNLIGHT"!!!

As an African American, I don't have a problem with her single cover because IT'S ALL ABOUT "MARKETING" -- PERIOD!!! She's trying something "NEW" to attract more attention to her music which has alway been "SOLID" AS ROCK!!! In the past, she was much more interested in showcasing her "SPIRITUALITY VIA MUSIC" by placing much less emphasis on her "NATURAL BEAUTY"!!! This time around, she's showing more "SKIN" to get people's attention in a very "TASTEFUL" MANNER!!! The picture was "PHOTO SHOPPED" to blend her dress, skin color and background into a very "ARTISTICALLY APPEALING" PACKAGE!!! It's only "BUSINESS AS USUAL"!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7