Phil Ramone

Grammy Winning Producer

Dead at 72

3/30/2013 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0330-phil-ramone-getty
Grammy Award-winning producer Phil Ramone -- who worked with legends like Ray Charles, Billy Joel and Paul Simon -- has passed away at age 72.

Phil's death was confirmed by his son, Matt Ramone, but details were not made immediately available. Matt released statement saying his father "will be missed."

Phil was a legend in the music world having won 14 Grammys, produced music for "Flashdance," "Midnight Cowboy" and " Ghostbusters" ... and worked with some of the greatest artists in the world like Frank Sinatra, Aretha Franklin, Elton John ... the list goes on.

A native of South Africa, Ramone trained as a violinist at The Julliard School and became a U.S. citizen when he was 12.

verlinda

R.I.P.

mrharrybawls2012

Who is this guy?? Anyone know?......... Bueller?

Hi Gang. Its me Louie.Make sure you watch me do a giant belly flop into the pool on ABC's new reality show "Splash" ...its really funny cause at one point you can see my bawl sack hanging out of my bathing suit.
Blessings,
*Louie Anderson*

Cricket

A gifted man. My condolences to his family. R.I.P.

keepinitrealincali

Mr. Ramone had surgery on Thursday to repair an aortic aneuryism and came throught the surgery okay; he was expected to be released from the hospital in a few days. Apparently, something went terribly wrong. This sort of thing happens all the time. Mr. Ramone was a child prodigy (violin) and was a genius in the studio, having produced some of the great recordings of which we'll never see the likes of again. RIP Phil Ramone. My condolences to his family.

jj

Phil Ramone produced DIana Ross' last cd and it was brilliant.

bob

Man oh man. First Joey, then Dee Dee and Johnny and now... Phil.
When will it end?

doodoolemonque

Mortality sucks. This was one if those people responsible for the soundtrack of our lives....like Phil Spector. Most will never know their names, or how important they were to the sound of the artists people believe

doodoolemonque

....sorry...continued from below...... "the sound of the artists we all love"

Mrugowsky

That's too bad. Damn.

madman-stephan

Flashdance? Ghostbusters? Midnight Cowboy? Yeah, those were his...

Josh1966

Please change your report. Phil Ramone was 79 years old. Not 72 years old. It's all about the simple facts!

Sir Paul McCartney

Phil was a great friend of mine for many years. We first worked together when I recorded Another Day in New York at Ramone's A&R Studios. He was a very sweet man who combined this with expert knowledge of both engineering and production. I'll always remember him as a great friend that I knew, loved and admired over the many years that we worked and played together.