'Buckwild' Star Shain Gandee

Family Needs Cash to

Cover Funeral Expenses

4/2/2013 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0401_shain_gandee_04
Shain Gandee did not get rich during his brief stint as an MTV reality star -- far from it -- so his family is turning to his community to help pay for funeral expenses ... TMZ has learned.

Shain's cousin, Ashley Gandee, is organizing a memorial "mud run" (an off-road trucking event) to ease the financial strain on Shain's family in the wake of the "Buckwild" star's death.

"I know the strain they are going through," Ashley tells us ... adding, "It's hard to provide a proper burial. It's already tough with the loss of family members ... expenses are tough as well."

FYI -- Ashley was with Shain at the opening of her shop Gandee's General Store in Crown City, Ohio on Saturday ... two days before he was found dead.

Ashley tells us the "mud run" event will take place Wednesday night in Proctorville, Ohio -- a town about 50 miles from Charleston, West Virginia where "Buckwild" is filmed.

We're told there will be a $10 charge for each vehicle -- Ashley's store will also be taking donations.

It's unclear how much dough Shain made during his career on the MTV show -- but as we learned from the "Jersey Shore" situation, the stars don't usually see a big pay day until AFTER the show becomes a hit. It's safe to say Shain was probably making a couple thousand dollars at best.

0401_shain_bronco

As we previously reported ... Shain was found dead in his Ford Bronco Monday in West Virginia -- along with his uncle and a male friend -- after the vehicle was submerged in mud. Carbon Monoxide poisoning may have been the cause.

Bitchplease

So your a hit on an MTV show & you can't afford an $8,000 funeral? We buried someone close to me & it was very nice & that's what it usually costs. People seem to waste money.

jimi

why don't you hacks have any info for donations? f@cking vultures

Bitchplease

So the guy was drunk & driving? Nope. If that's the case MTV doesn't need to pay crap. That wads decision made by him and he's an adult.

Ann

Why in the world would MTV not offer to pay his funeral expenses......they sure made enough money off him......SHAME ON MTV

KEV

he's not the only one that needs cash for a funeral. get a loan.

laffnbear

For someone who took such joy in wrecking and "tearing up" his truck it would seem he met his just deserts.

Pers

I think having a 'mud run' is really ironic at best and tasteless at worst...I guess having a 'read-a-thon' wouldn't have been a big money maker with these folks. Just sad all around.

lolurdumb

He spent that $20 pay check fast! In WV thats alot!

William

What did they do with all the money from the show? if they can't afford a funeral, they aren't paying anything.

Poopie

Why won't they release the name of the friend ?

Liz

Who else here has been to Proctorville, OH? I have. Main features are the flea market and a Kroger. LOL

Jdawg

Im mailing them a Quarter !

Questdelsangraal

Time for MTV to dig into their pockets.
R.I.P.

Tim

Poor kid. If you watched the show you people talking down on him would realize that he was the only genuine guy with a sense of humor and heart. I know these shows are silly but his sincerity shown through. Yes, he may have inadvertently caused he, his uncle and his friends death but that doesn't make him a piece of trash to mock and ridicule. I hope and pray that all you jerks insulting he and his family don't have to one day climb down off your high horses and bury a two members of your family. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and I'm sure Shain wouldn't either if he were still here. RIP to Shain, his uncle and his friend.

Legend

That's why cremation is the way to go. The difference in cost between cremation and burial are seriously ridiculous! That's why I'm telling all my family that I want to be cremated when I go. You can prepay for everything and its seriously easy for the family with arrangements afterward.