White House/AP Cyber Attacks

2 Connected Groups

1 Big Problem

4/23/2013 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0423_whitehouse_hacker_2_getty_articleTwo hacking groups have taken credit for launching cyber attacks against the AP and the White House ... but the perps are connected to the core ... TMZ has learned.

The Syrian Electronic Army (SEA) claims they "owned" the AP after successfully hacking into its Twitter account and posting a fake item that President Obama was injured in an explosion. According to reports, SEA has hacked Twitter for months to spread political messages.

Exposed, the group behind most major celebrity swattings, is flying its flag as the team behind today's 911 bomb threat directed at the White House.

Sources close to the investigation tell us, the two groups are actually connected and have members working for both operations. Our sources say Exposed came out first to claim responsibility for the fake bomb threat.  As we've previously reported, Exposed has taken credit for more than a dozen celebrity swatting calls.

As for why SEA took credit for the AP prank ... it's unclear.  What is clear is that the prank was coordinated between the 2 groups -- a 1-2 punch, if you will.

James R. - Los Angeles

You brought this on yourself, Obummer.

OLiarbama Argo-Urself

Dang, I thought this story was about Lindsay Lohan.

Inconceivable!

I didn't vote for Obama and do not support him politically. But I give ally support to him as our President of the U.S. I do not want to see the White House or Obama hurt in any way. I hope that is how Americans feel about the fake AP messages.

Inconceivable!

Ally = all of my (damn auto correct!).

Ace

I can't trust the news AP puts out anymore, I guess I'll have to go to the only reliable source around...TMZ

BaadBoy

C’mon, hacking TWITTER accounts is NOT HACKING. …and taking credit for calling-in fake emergencies to 911 is juvenile. All of these things can be accomplished by a 15 year old and his 2 little brothers. They’ll get caught and when they’re behind bars with real criminals, that’s when they’ll experience some real fun.

IwuvTMZ

Oh boy.

tgrfan42069

when these people finally get caught.they will scream about their rights to free speech as always these activists do.

svizzy

but no reason to pass cispa.

Taxidrver

Meh.

Cricket

These groups are ridiculous. Stop You are not funny, original or frankly that intelligent. Tmz, stop glorifying their actions and giving them attention It's what they want.

LISA

I would say falsely obtaining the President's (and many others) credit reports, displaying them (including SIN numbers), swatting famous people and reporting a false bomb threat at the White House is much more than a prank.

The new 'Exposed' site had Twitter accounts posted, and the people behind 'Exposed' talked openly and freely amongst themselves and others. Hopefully the FBI is looking into THAT. I just don't understand why their 'so called pranks' are being reported. It may be a bunch of bored teens ... but it may also be something much more sinister and threatening.

my 2 cents

I watched this story unfold today on CNBC. The anchors went into "homina homina" mode as they were looking at the report and the Dow hit the skids.

fenuchi

These people need a hobby.

cobrazombie