Catherine Zeta-Jones

Enters Treatment Center

For Bipolar Disorder

4/30/2013 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0429_catherine_zeta_jones_getty_article
Catherine Zeta-Jones has checked in to a treatment center to get more help for her Bipolar disorder ... TMZ has learned.

We've learned ... the 43-year-old Academy Award winner checked in to the treatment center Monday ... and is expected to complete a 30-day program.

Sources connected to the actress tell us ... Jones' stint in the treatment center is a proactive measure. As one source puts it, "It's maintenance."

FYI -- Jones completed a stint at a treatment center in 2011 -- at the time, her rep said Catherine had "made the decision to check in to a mental health facility for a brief stay to treat her Bipolar II disorder."

Zeta-Jones was last seen in public on April 22 -- when she hit the red carpet at the 40th Anniversary Chaplin Award Gala at Lincoln Center looking healthy ... with her husband Michael Douglas by her side.

0429_catherine_zeta_jones_sub

Steve

You know this is the same bitch who said under oath in court that a couple of million dollars is nothing to her, maybe to some people it's a lot but not her and Michael douglas. So she is on her high horse thinking she is better than others because of money and now she is sad. Boo frickin Hoo. Try not knowing where you are going to get money for your kids food or rent then tell me if your sad.

southern feminist

Wholly commend her for not being ashamed of a pretty normal mental issue that affects millions - no wonder people don't want to get treatment with it being reported as such a big deal.

Calico

Best wishes and I hope she receives excellent care and support.
I have two female friends/family who are bipolar - they are wonderful, loving people and they need love, continuation of pro treatment, and steady support without judgment. No stigma - we all have our issues and this is biochemical.

mike

Michael Douglas looks like hes going to drop dead any minute. She, on the other hand, hasn't aged a bit. Usually it's the other way around.

dd

Good, too many refuse treatment.

Jay

Good for Catherine for keeping her condition under control. I have seen comments on here about how she couldnt be in a treatment center for Bipolar that it has to be for dugs and alcohol but that is not true. Just want to clear that up for anyone who may be wondering about the topic. I spent 28 days in a treatment center that had specialized programs for mental illness a few years ago as I also am bipolar. I was in college and my illness came out and I had to go to the hospital but then went to a treatment faciility after that. So yes you can check into a treatment facility for mental illness. It can be truly life saving.

kaddybug

I don't get why all these celvs have to go to treatment for mental issues! ! I have issues also but I've never been in a treatment place for them. Yes im on meds but thats it!!

hapychapy03

Don't see the big deal. Aren't all woman bi-polar!

gregg

IN OTHER WORDS, SHE A ****ING NUTCASE.

SocialMaven

Good for you, Catherine. It takes guts to publicly admit you are bipolar (we have so many ignorant people who do not understand this disease). I pray you get well. You are a great example for thousands who suffer in silence from this. I wish you the very best.

say_what

Great actress celeb getting help for her disease is commendable ! helps her fans learn to reach out for help if they should need it too

mc724

So michael is addicted to sex and Catherine is bipolar? Damn, i bet there is some great sex tapes just waiting to br released! yes please.

Beverly

I wish her all the luck and prayers. I have a 24 year-old daughter who was recently diagnosed with early on-set schizophrenia. At this point, she isn't doing anything to get treatment. Ms. Zeta-Jones is trying. I can't begin to imagine how hard it is for her. How do you fight when your worst enemy is yourself.

Angela

Props to her for being so brave and getting help! Especially in the public eye.... that can't be easy.

vag

she depressed becasue what she is going thru with her loved one..her hubby it hard....she afraid of his dying that why is he off balance ..why is depression such a taboo...i pray for her wellness