Catherine Zeta-Jones

Enters Treatment Center

For Bipolar Disorder

4/30/2013 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0429_catherine_zeta_jones_getty_article
Catherine Zeta-Jones has checked in to a treatment center to get more help for her Bipolar disorder ... TMZ has learned.

We've learned ... the 43-year-old Academy Award winner checked in to the treatment center Monday ... and is expected to complete a 30-day program.

Sources connected to the actress tell us ... Jones' stint in the treatment center is a proactive measure. As one source puts it, "It's maintenance."

FYI -- Jones completed a stint at a treatment center in 2011 -- at the time, her rep said Catherine had "made the decision to check in to a mental health facility for a brief stay to treat her Bipolar II disorder."

Zeta-Jones was last seen in public on April 22 -- when she hit the red carpet at the 40th Anniversary Chaplin Award Gala at Lincoln Center looking healthy ... with her husband Michael Douglas by her side.

0429_catherine_zeta_jones_sub

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12

PrincessJ

OMG, she's doing this again?????????? When she excessively drinks and becomes a jealous drunk because her own hubby is doing better than her, she's getting old, and she's drunk, so now she pulls that fake BIPOLAR card. It's so obvious she's in treatment for DRINKING, not BIPOLAR, are you kidding, there is no place you go to be treated for this disorder, she's using BIPOLAR disorder to cover up the fact that she a drunk! PUUULLLLEEEEAAASSSSEEE!~

Mee

Getting help is getting those "potent psych med's" that have DANGEROUS SIDE-EFFECTS LIKE MED-INDUCED PSYCHOSIS AND CAN CAUSE YOU TO WANT TO REALLY KILL YOURSELF OR OTHER'S" unless your already psychotic and need management; buyer BEWARE

Jane

I've lived with bi-polar for over 20 years and really resent the use of "suffering from" and "battling". We learn to live with our mental illness with meds and counseling. Ms. Zeta-Jones has the where with all to get regular treatment. And yes I am proud that she has come out. However, in an interview on GMA last year she said that she came out because she was going to be outed by a tabloid so let's not get too effusive.

Nancy

Being really familar with Bipolar disorder (my hubby has it), every now & then you have to go in and have a tune-up as I call it to regulate meds. Sometimes they stop working as they are suppose to so therfore another "****tail" has to be be figured out. At least she is at that point of recognizing that something is not working right and acting accordingly. That is a big part of the battle to keep it at bay!! Kudos to her!!

Alex

I have been bi- polar most my life . I have every last symptom . I DON'T take not one drug prescribed for it . I just go thru every phase - no drugs . The side effects for lithium are really bad . I'm stuck with this disease an if I could do the treatment check ins I would find that more helpful than the drugs . I feel I was one of the first with this disease . Now it seems everyone has it . The drugs make u a walking zombie .

Alex

Omg princess j you an I think alike I told that to my sister when she first came out with this as bipolar !!!!! I told her shes a libra , she's vain , used to being the beautiful one an now she's aging so she saying she's bi- polar !!! She's not aging the way she wants an her hair is thinning , her eyes r getting smaller , skin thinner ?? I can't believe how u an I feel the same way . I read people so well - u must have owl medicine . It's true about her an for us real bi - polar beauties the disease doesn't help the aging process . She can't handle growing old in the public eye an she knows her husband notices her changes - her physical changes .

Piscesrico

Good for her, she still looks great! And they will probably give her some really good drugs.

Spicy mag

My pole disorder.

Lauren

Good for her. Hope she is well again soon. She is very beautiful.

MauiPete

She a drunk and he got oral cancer from HPV. They deserve each other.

Previous 15 Comments | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12