« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Active NBA Player

Jason Collins

I'M GAY

4/29/2013 8:18 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0428_jason_collins_01

Washington Wizards center Jason Collins -- who's been playing in the NBA since 2001 -- has revealed he's gay ... making him the first major active American male pro athlete to come out of the closet .

Collins revealed the news in an article for Sports Illustrated ... saying, "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."

He continued, "I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation."

Collins -- and his twin brother Jarron -- have been high profile athletes since high school ... when they were two of the highest rated prep players in the country.

They both went on to become standouts at Stanford ... and were each drafted into the NBA in 2001.

Jason says he didn't come out to his twin until last summer.  "I'm glad I can stop hiding and refocus on my 13th NBA season."

NBA stars Kobe Bryant and Tony Parker are rallying behind Collins, tweeting messages of support.  Kobe wrote, "Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others." Tony added, "Really hope people will RESPECT Jason Collins for his decision to come out. Just glad he can now relax and not be afraid to be who he is."

Meanwhile, NFL player Mike Wallace made a homophobic comment.

0401-out-stars-footer-1

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Rhubino

We will probably see more BB players coming out now because of this. I think it may be a while yet for NFLers, though.

JB

I smell "reality show". Ryan Seacrest on Line 2.

kitnplayn

Ah, so that's where all the gay black men are. In the NBA.

Miosotis1979

I'm so glad that he had the honestly too come out . I bet you now he can sleep at night that he got that off his chest . I love my gays :)

4reallikecomon

He plays hard...

Soda pop

He means he's happy I hope

Azi

I noticed his jersey almost had all the colors of a rainbow.

zzyzx

Why announce it? Just be gay, we'll figure it out when we see you with men. When we stop treating homosexuality like something different, it will stop being different.

Ih8Taxes

Who cares...being gay is no big deal anymore. And I'm all for gay marriage so that everyone can suffer equally.

Mahoffer

What's the big deal? About half the Nuggets roster came out as gay against the Warriors last night.

Maria

Good for him. He can now live his life like everyone else!!!

Tracy

Impressively brave.

jen

who cares......atleast he's not a race jumper......they are MUCH WORSE THAN BEING GAY.....

Pecker

If this guy had a contract and wasn't a nobody, he wouldn't have come out. Its getting pretty sad when the gay card is being used as an attention and publicity hook....

marchetti

Harvey can be like whore bag kim n finally bang black athletes!