« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Active NBA Player

Jason Collins

I'M GAY

4/29/2013 8:18 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0428_jason_collins_01

Washington Wizards center Jason Collins -- who's been playing in the NBA since 2001 -- has revealed he's gay ... making him the first major active American male pro athlete to come out of the closet .

Collins revealed the news in an article for Sports Illustrated ... saying, "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."

He continued, "I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation."

Collins -- and his twin brother Jarron -- have been high profile athletes since high school ... when they were two of the highest rated prep players in the country.

They both went on to become standouts at Stanford ... and were each drafted into the NBA in 2001.

Jason says he didn't come out to his twin until last summer.  "I'm glad I can stop hiding and refocus on my 13th NBA season."

NBA stars Kobe Bryant and Tony Parker are rallying behind Collins, tweeting messages of support.  Kobe wrote, "Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others." Tony added, "Really hope people will RESPECT Jason Collins for his decision to come out. Just glad he can now relax and not be afraid to be who he is."

Meanwhile, NFL player Mike Wallace made a homophobic comment.

0401-out-stars-footer-1

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

IwuvTMZ

Freedom at last!

Elizabeth Alan

Should we start announcing when we are hetero? Is it even an issue in this day and age?

LOLOL

His teammates will def get closer to the urinal in the bathroom when this guy is around.

Laura

I think it's great he wants to be honest about his lifestyle. Best of luck to him.

dreamer4u

I could care less if he is gay or not.. But in my opinion the guys who are NOT gay they should NOT be subjected to them in the locker rooms. I definitely would NOT want some lesbian checking me out..YUCK!!!

LOLOL

His teammates choose to pee in the stall when this guy is around.

cali323

Congratulations so you like to take it up your a$$!!! I hope you have a ball. :/

mommyto1

That's breaking news? Seriously?

MoraMore

**snaps fingers into a z"

Mumra the Ever Living

Since there has been gay people from the beginning of time, since there has been professional team sports in our country for at least 150 years, and since this is the first man with enough balls to admit that he is gay while he is still playing, then I would say yes, this is a big deal and is a VERY important issue in this day and age.

Charlie Sheen's Watch

Who cares? What, next you'll be telling people how you wipe your behind too?

Nobody gives a rats behind. You are a basketball player. Now go play some ball!

total scrotal implosion

Guarantee he won't b picked up by a team next season

Elsa

Bet he saved alot of money going to strip joints due to the free bounty of the locker room.

LOLOL

This guy being gay is so gay.

Joe