« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NFL Star Michael Boley

Secretly Arrested

for Child Abuse

5/2/2013 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0501-michael-boley-tmz-mugEx-New York Giants linebacker Michael Boley was quietly arrested for child abuse back in February ... 3 days after he was cut by the team ... TMZ has learned.

Boley -- a starting linebacker in Super Bowl XLVI -- had been under investigation in Alabama for a 2011 incident involving his son, who was 5 years old at the time.

The details of the alleged abuse are unclear, although sources tell us the allegations were of a physical nature and NOT sexual abuse.

Here's what we know ... Boley's case was scheduled to go in front of a grand jury in February 2013 ... but before that got under way, the 30-year-old NFL star struck a plea deal with prosecutors.

Court officials in Etowah County, AL tell TMZ ... Boley pled guilty to child abuse -- and in exchange, he was ordered to enroll in a pre-trial diversion program and upon completion the charge would be dropped.

Boley was also required to turn himself into authorities. He was booked on February 8, smiled for a mug shot and was released from custody later that day.

0501-michael-boley-tmz

Seems the NY Giants were hip to Boley's legal issues ... 'cause he was unexpectedly cut by the team on February 5 ... 3 days before Boley turned himself in to authorities. Boley is currently a free agent, on the hunt for a job.

A rep for Boley had no comment -- but sources connected to the NFL star tell us Boley plans to comply with the terms of the plea deal.

update_bar
5/3 -- Boley's agents have released a statement saying, "Mr. Boley is dealing with a personal matter that allegedly happened nearly two years ago. Michael has been and always will be a loving and supportive father to all of his children."

"Due to the circumstances of the situation, he has chosen to enter into an arrangement with the Courts that serves the best interest of his family. During this difficult time, Michael will gain strength from his family and continue to be the loving father that everyone knows him to be."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

lovely

Sexual abuse! MEN ARE SO ****ING NASTY!

freebutterfly13

Omg sad ass excuse for a dad

dd

PUNK!

bjay

Wait. No bond set. Charges will be dropped. Looks to me like the work of an ex getting revenge.

KicksandGiggles

Wait.....This punk pzzy took it out on a child because his useless talentless azz could not hold a spot on the team?? And then to pour pizz on the insult, have the unmitigated nerve to SMILE AND PROFILE for the mug shot??? WTF??? I hope Bubba has a special set of broom handles and a new jar of jelly warming up for his punk azz right now!!!! I hope he NEVER plays pro ball again and rots in jail!!!!

gegeok

Thats supposed to be justice?... No freakin way!!!!

Physical Graffiti

Vasectomy and parental rights taken away. Sicko.

Bill

Here in the U.S.A you can be arrested for child abused if you tap your child on the hand and someone else complain about it. I was in the grocery store one day with my 7yr old son and he saw one of his school mates they started to play. they got a bright idear to throw eggs at some little girls. I grab my sons hand and hit him on the hand twice one for each egg he threw. not real hard but enough to get his attention. not even hard enough to turn his hand red or nothing. by the time I got out of the store the police had it surrounded. I though i just walked out on a robber gone bad but to my surprise they were there for me because some lady called the police and wanted me arrested for child abuse! luckily I was not arrested but I was held up for 45mins while they ran me through the system and question my son about possible past abuses! the Sargent then told me that I could be arrested and that it is against the law to spank your children. it took me months to get my son back on track after that because for a while when I would tell him to stop doing this or that before I get him he would say to me "the police said you cant whip me"

ceebee505

Now adays you can think about spanking your kids and someone will call the police. I would have to know details before I put him down for child abuse.

SureThing

This is not new info. TMZ just didn't know about it.

Cricket

Why do idiots find it necessary to smile in mug shots?? It's infuriating.

moni

I don't know this man BUT I'm always very cautious to judge whenever someone who's got the big money is accused of something like that. There are lots of greedy people outside willing to to everything to get quick cash. Btw everyone is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Gayle

Child abusers should be sent to prison forever. Big bullies taking it out on little innocent children. Pathetic example of a man, and I use the term loosely.

Toilethead

What a bastard *******. He needs a good butt kicking.

Kashat