Barbara Walters

Callin' It Quits in 2014

5/13/2013 4:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

051313_barbara_walters_view_launchBarbara Walters is hanging up her microphone in 2014 after 37 years with ABC News, the network announced Sunday night.

Walters -- who will hand down the official word Monday morning on "The View" -- will continue to work on that show, and her various other news projects, through next summer.

In a statement, Walters said, "I am very happy with my decision and look forward to a wonderful and special year ahead both on 'The View' and with ABC News."

She continued, "I created 'The View' and am delighted it will last beyond my leaving it."

Walters had a health scare in January when she suffered a cut on her forehead after falling on a stair. Rumors of Walters' retirement have been swirling for months, but she had consistently brushed them off.

0328_barbara_walters_through_footer

lts

Thank heavens!

hashtagjournalist

She'll announce her "wetiewahment" tomorrow.

Jen

Bye bitch.

Truth

THE OLD BAT... ABOUT EFFING TIME. JUST WHEN NAT. GEOGRAPHIC WAS GONNA CARBON DATE THE LIVING FOSSIL. DEMENTIA IS GONNA BE HER NEW BFF. #TRUTH!!

IwuvTMZ

Twenty-five years too late.

chzbrgrmachne

goodbye and good widdence to wabbwa wahtwahs

Beezy

Thank God. This woman should have quit 20 years ago. One of the most annoying people on that daytime talk show.

Thomas Jefferson

Nonsense who really cares about this!

BaadBoy

Barbara is from the era of news reporting when dignity and credibility went hand-in-hand with being a news anchor. Today’s opinionated news broadcasts (i.e. Fox) doesn’t even compare to real reporters like Walters. Enjoy your retirement Barbara.

moveover

GOOD! (Why wait a whole year?)

Kelly

The timing is right. She seemed a little addled after the Rosie period but either changed her meds or upped her game since then. No one wants to overstay and exhibit the kind of mental loss Regis had during his final year, so it's good for BW.

Erika

FINALLY AND GOOD!!!!!

Common Sense

Did I hear Wolf AGAIN?

OLiarbama Argo-Urself

Dear Babwa, I am your love child. You made Pa take me away, after you gave birth to me in that lonely log cabin in the Appalachias. You've never seen me since then. Now, I'm a beautiful young lady, I be fly and I got swag. You'd be mighty proud of me. And, Pa says I got your rear end. Before, I used to be mad that you never let me call you Mother. Now, I'm happy, coz if word got out you is my Ma, think of the ridicule I'd get from kin and friend. They be like, "Babwa Wawa is your real Mama?" Oh, I'd be so ashamed, coz I'm normal.

Elle

Barbara Walters was always a hack. She is a fame whore who is clinging on to relevance that she never possessed.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments