Ray Manzarek

'Doors' Founding Member

Dead at 74

5/20/2013 3:12 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0520-ray-manzarek-getty
Ray Manzarek -- who co-founded "The Doors" with Jim Morrison in 1965 and played keyboard -- has died, this according to the band's official Facebook page.

Manzarek was 74.

According to the website, Manzarek passed away today at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer.

At the time of his death, Ray was surrounded by his wife Dorothy and his brothers Rick and James.

Along with Jim ... Ray and The Doors churned out some of the most iconic rock songs in history -- including, "L.A. Woman," "Break On Through to the Other Side," "The End," "Hello, I Love You," and "Light My Fire."

Doors' guitarist Robby Krieger released a statement saying, "I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek."

He added, "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

According to the band's official Facebook page ... Ray's family has asked that in lieu of flowers, fans should make an in memoriam donation in Ray's name to Standup2cancer.org.

R.I.P.

Today on TMZ Live, Harvey reminisced about the time he met Ray 15 years ago -- and completely embarrassed himself in the process. Really funny story.

052013_harvey_ray_tmzlive_launch

0520_ray_manzarek_remembering_footer

Morticia Cowghoul

so sad.
RIP.

Shoozie

Deepest condolences to Mr. Ray and his entire family and all his friends. Rest in Peace.

Queen B

I am stunned by the death of Ray M.. He was immensely talented! I cannot believe it! In the words of his good friend Jim Morrison I say: "Death makes angels of us all & gives us wings where we had shoulders smooth as raven's claws."

Snidly

He will be sadly missed,one of the true great rock organ players of all time in rock history,him and Jan Lord of Deep Purple. Ray was classicly trained,combine that with a poet, a jazz influenced drummer and a guitar player who played lead with his fingers,a true iconic band with their own style,No other group sounded like the Doors. Ray would play those great bass notes as well live to cover up for the lack of a bass player on stage. RIP

Duke

I enjoyed your music Ray. Break on through to the other side. RIP

cindy

I am soo saddened to hear this. I am a HUGE Doors fan. R.I.P. Ray. And if you " Break on through to the other side,"Tell Jim "Hi" for me.

MsRita

Bile Duck Cancer you mean anal cancer that is the same right.

Davis

Finally Ray will stop gravy training off of Jims death. He had his own cottage industry going for what over 40 years. ? Glad its over. His nonsense was old a long time ago. Loved the music but, never appreciated all the people who profited from Jims death.

john johnson

r.i.p. buddy, say hi to jim for us.

Gretel

My siblings and I grew up on this music. My parents were old hippies and this was their music. My dad always said the Doors had some of the best musicians that were recording back in the day. RIP Ray Manzarek, you really did make beautiful music.

Woot

Awww. :o(
Rest in peace, Ray.

R

The Doors are my favorite all-time group. RIP.

CLINT

What a great musician he was. I wish I could have seen The Doors play, but I will always remember the great keyboard playing in the songs. Mystical, magical and always steady in arrangements. RIP Ray.

OZZFestAmy

I am so sorry to hear that this has happened. Iam so fortunate that I got to see the Doors be honored at the 2012 Sunset Strip Music Festival. I will never forget the time I had there and how much that this will influence me to keep studying medicine for artists and entertainers.

Jay

Saw my one and only doors show at bummerfest in Milwaukee Wi. shortly after the death of Jim Morrison.

I was 12 or 13 years of age and it blew my mind.

All instrumental set even though Ray could sing all the songs to perfection.

Everything dies baby that's a fact........

Dance like no one is watching and enjoy every sandwich