Reggae Legend 'Toots' Hibbert

My Manager Used My

Stupidity To SCREW ME!

5/31/2013 12:18 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0531-toots-hibbert-gettyLegendary reggae/ska frontman Frederick "Toots" Hibbert claims he was dumber than a doornail about business and other stuff  ... and his former manager used his ignorance to royally screw him over.

The 70-year-old Toots claims in a new lawsuit ... he hired Marc-Antoine Chetata back in '94 to manage Toots and the Maytals' music and business affairs.

The Jamaican singer says it became apparent to Chetata in no time, his 4th grade education and complete lack of business skills left him vulnerable ... so Chetata allegedly lunged like a cheetah and acted like a real cheat'a by getting Toots to sign an agreement that gave the manager 50% song ownership.

Toots and the Maytals were a HUGE influence on ska/rock steady/reggae ... they recorded more than 30 albums since the early '60s.

Now Toots wants $1.25 mil minimum and his songs back.

tippy katz

Greedy people exploiting artists... old story. I like to think younger artists are more business savvy. But it would be awesome if Justin Bieber woke up broke one day. PS toots = so talented.

IwuvTMZ

So you take no accountability?

Fred Farkel

who??

KnuckleDragger

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." -John Wayne

Mikey

Stupid is as stupid does sir - Forest Gump

Tony

Yep, toots is up there with Bob Marley Jimmy cliff,Johnny Nash, and Peter Tosh as Jamaican roots legends.. These remaining legend artists are having a hard time now in the industry because the music has evolved into a form called dancehall where rapp and digital club music are melded into it. Tosh is having a wade Robeson selective represed memoery eppisode, and only cold hard cash will heal him...

Mikey

Gimme my money back, I made a bad investment and lost money cause I'm stupid............

Lucky_130

In his stupidity he has failed to realize he has already lost.

depplep

Stupid people don't know they're stupid.

Mikey

If this "gimme my money back cause I'm stupid" thing works it will change economics as we know it forever.

Tony

Toots should be sueing Pit Bull for stealing his hook in the song Funky kingston.. In Dont stop the party.. All Pit Bull did was speed it up..

TheEric

Last time I checked, a fourth grader can read. It's his own fault. And, if he signed the contracts, there's not a damn thing he can do about it.

Donka Do Ball

I believe the legal technical term for him is "dumb-ass".

Minnetonka40

Maybe you should of held on to your money a little better?

Minnetonka40

Reggae Legend??? According to who?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments