Paula Deen

My N-Word Excuse ...

I'm Old

6/20/2013 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0620_paula_deen_article_tmzPaula Deen is using the "I'm from the South" excuse to justify her use of the N-word ... saying that when she grew up, dropping an N-bomb was no big deal because everyone was racist.

Paula Deen Enterprises just issued the following statement to TMZ ... "During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today."

FYI -- the "time" Paula admitted to using the N-word was 1986!!!!!

Anyway, the statement continues ... "[Paula] was born 60 years ago when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today."

"To be clear Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination. "

As we previously reported, Deen admitted using the N-word during a sworn deposition stemming from a lawsuit ... in which the chef and her brother are accused of using offensive language at Paula's restaurant in Georgia.

jae kae

Get the hell over it. Yes it was a dumb and insensitive thing to say, but people are just looking for things to bitch about. Let's focus all this energy into something that will truly make a difference.

Old Webster

Maybe she should have said up until the 90's when Webster Dictionary changed the meaning the "N" word used to mean lazy, uneducated, ignorant person.

Alicia Morrison

who cares what this woman has to say ?

ejon

She was on a show this summer called "Who do you think you are?" She discovered her ancestors were slave owners. When you grow up in a time and place where people used the "N" word everyday, you can't be shocked that she that used it. There are a lot of racists in the world....Get over it.

vicky

quit buying her cookbooks,her sons,watching there shows,eventually they will be off the air.I have that opinion she is not what she seems on t v and I have for a long time.Now that her real self has been exposed,it is rather funny it is due to growing older...

LIVID LIFE 101

She's a public figure making millions with people of all races buying her products she should handle herself in a better manner. I hope she enjoys her lawsuit. I hope this helps to put a end to all this racial division.

luna

Previous generations had a different rule book. It doesn't make what she said any better, but perhaps more understandable. Applying today's rules to people who never had to abide by those rules is just a way to ramp up indignation against her. I wonder what the gossip rag media of tomorrow will say about the TMZ crew in 20 years?

rae28

Judging by all these comments..Paula is in good compay

jeannie

My mama is older than her and I don't ever remember hearing her say that word. And Im originally from Mississippi. She's racist and can't undo what she said

jeannie

When Paula Deen first appeared on tv, she seemed likable. Over the years her drawl has gotten worse and her laugh are getting weird..

Fuck Off TMZ

So?

The Gorn

Too old? She grew up during the Civil Rights Era! What's her problem anyway? Was she too busy stuffing her face at Lester Maddox's fried chicken restaurant?

Rich

Paul is correct. just passing laws against racism is not going to resolve the problem It will take a century to remove racism from Southern Family We all know and hear our law makers making racial comments.

Queencityman

I had so much respect for her for years. Idolized her for her not so healthy but delicious sense of cooking. I discovered how delicious the food was in her restaurant at Cherokee Casino to the point I've bragged about it to everyone who'd listen! Too bad I cannot continue to be a fan of PD. cooking shows or the restaurant. I won't!

BSname

Anyone who claims they have never used the N-Word is as believable as anyone who claims that they haver never farted or masturbated. They are simply lying and full of Sh*t.