« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

1st Overall NBA Draft Pick

Non-Hockey Player

Gets HUGE Canadian Honor

7/2/2013 11:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0702_anthony_bennett_01
Canadian native Anthony Bennett -- the first Canadian EVER to get picked first in the NBA draft -- has just received an even greater honor ... THE KEY TO HIS CANADIAN HOMETOWN!!!

The mayor of Brampton in Ontario released a statement today, saying she presented Bennett -- who was drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers last week -- with the key on Canada Day yesterday ... in honor of his incredible non-hockey achievements.

For our Canadian readers: basketball is a game in which two teams vie to shoot a ball through their opponent's hoop. No actual baskets are involved, and players tend to retain most of their teeth.

The mayor added, “All of Brampton wishes Anthony the very best with the Cleveland Cavaliers and we look forward to cheering him on during the NBA season.”

That is, as soon as they figure out what the NBA actually is ... and no, the Raptors don't count.

Take it away, Kyle's mom!

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

kkummen

BASKETBALL WAS INVENTED IN CANADA ALONG WITH HOCKEY AND I BELIEVE LACROSSE US CANADIANS KNOW HOW TO PLAY............

jjrez

For our American readers: don't be so stupid. Next time you think of something great - google it, you'll likely find it was invented by a canadian! ... unless its unhealthy foods, thats all you.

Pierrette

Dear TMZ: Basketball was a game invented in Canada.

jjrez

randomnone

Hey morons, drunk on stupid as usual. Basketball was invented by a Canadian. I know, that will be asking two for you to use your brains. Morons

luckydollarstore

I love it when Americans *try* to serve up something educational :) - a Canadian reader.

rainee

TMZ, I gave you a scoop in my last post, four hours ago, about Canadian authorities thwarting a terror plot of great significance, and you STILL let fox news outscoop you. WTG Canadian authorities, you've done a stellar job protecting your citizens, especially on their day of national pride. It is an HONOUR to be a Canadian citizen, born and bred.

karlew

THIS IS THE GREAT WHITE NORTH "BE PROUD" Keep your snow blower tuned up, A loonie or twoniee in your pocket just in case And REMEMBER "I'm not a lumberjack or a fur trader. I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber or own a dog sled. And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice. I have a prime minister, not a president. I speak English and Frenc...h, not American. And I pronounce it about, not aboot. I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack. I believe in peacekeeping, not policing. Diversity, not assimilation. And that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal. A toque is a hat,a chesterfield is a couch. And it is pronounced zed, not zee, zed. Canada is the second largest landmass, the first nation of "hockey" and the best part of North America. My name is Joe, and I am Canadian!"

and

WE INVENTED BASKETBALL!!!!!!

You guys at TMZ are all a bunch of morons

Bucks

You know a lot about ball maybe you could teach the lakers something

M

basketball was invented in Canada. Read a book.

romo

Geez, get your facts straight; basketball is a CANADIAN INVENTED GAME.

missgoang

TMZ we Canadians know what basketball is. It was invented in Canada by James Naismith at McGill University. Any Canadian that watches tv learns that from the Canadian moment commercials. Here it is for your education....

Denise

Hey there...did you know Basketball was invented in Canada....in Ontario to be more specific....check your facts...

joanna

i know you guys are trying to funny, and you usually are but here's a little history
some of your readers may not be as educated!

joanna