Rolling Stone

Boycotting Our Cover is a

Boycot of the Constitution

7/17/2013 11:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0717_rollingstone_bomberBostonians upset by the new Rolling Stone cover -- featuring Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev -- need to grow up and learn from the tragedy that rocked their city ... according to the magazine's editors.

The editors just released a statement, saying their hearts go out to the Boston bombing victims -- but "the cover story we are publishing this week falls within the traditions of journalism and Rolling Stone's longstanding commitment to serious and thoughtful coverage."

The statement continues, "The fact that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is young, and in the same age group as many of our readers, makes it all the more important for us to examine the complexities of this issue and gain a more complete understanding of how a tragedy like this happens."

In other words, we're exercising our 1st Amendment rights to investigate a terrorist -- so, stop burying your heads in the sand, people.

As we reported, CVS and the Boston-based Roche Bros. supermarkets have boycotted the latest issue of the magazine because of its controversial cover ... saying it's disrespectful to the victims.

0422_boston_marathon_bombing_footer

moxie

I wouldn't wrap fish with that fekkin' nasty mag.

cdm

Is he available for Se****?

Jho

Music and terrorism don't mix.

Pete the Geek

In my opinion Rolling Stone editors are cold, heartless and evil to put this fool on the cover. Their statement justifying publication of the story shows that they are completely out of touch; the outrage is NOT about the story, it is about putting him on the cover in a glamorous pose. Finally, TMZ, it is not just Bostonians who are outraged about the actions of the staff of Rolling Stone. This terror attack could have happened anywhere. I sincerely hope that the magazine's advertisers are equally outraged.

ElisabethIsDisgusting

F*CK YOU, Rolling Stone! Don't tell us how we're supposed to feel!

Liz

We need Uncle Ruslan to come back outside his house and call Rolling Stone "a loser" too - just like he did with his nephews.

G

Manson was featured on the cover as well; the world didn't explode because of it.

Elena

I agree that the cover is disrespectful. Rolling Stone uses a picture that looks like he's a model or celebrity, not a terrorist. Let's not glamorize a cold-blooded killer. However, I laugh about the fact that CVS is taking a stand on this, but they don't mind subjecting children and families to the disgustingly inappropriate magazine covers like Cosmo with articles about having better sex, orgasms, etc. I'm in CVS all the time, and I constantly get stressed and annoyed about that when it's staring my kids in the face every time I 'm standing at the checkout counter. I guess CVS doesn't find that disrespectful in any way. I suppose it's more politically correct to take a stand on this particular magazine cover.

BOB

This Is The LAST Issue Published,,,,,, RS MAGAZINE is DEAD TO ME,,,,

CANCEL Subscriptions NOW

@RJJAuger

In one simple shot on this cover RS has managed to glamorize the bomb attacks in Boston! They have mocked and disrespected everything and everyone that this has affected with this cover. It's a shame for a magazine that is no longer relevant to try to regain its glory.

catherine hern

My grandson was severely injured by the second bomb at the Boston Marathon - my daughter-in-law was just finishing the race and he was there with my son and granddaughter to congratulate her on her accomplishment. This event has forever changed our family. The trauma that my grandson has suffered, at such a young age, will dull with time but never go away. Editors of Rolling Stone - be mindful of the real victims of this tragedy - why not have a survivor/double amputee to bring to light the true horror of that day.

Sargio

I guess I'm irresponsible then. I wouldn't even taint my butthole by using it as toilet paper. HUGE slap in the face.

Claire

Something no one may like - he is not the bomber of the Boston Marathon and RS was wrong in labeling him as such on its cover. Under the law, Tsarnaev is a suspect authorities believe was responsible for the bombing. He’s not guilty of anything right now – he didn’t bomb anything right now – he’s not the bomber of the marathon right now. That day will come though but it’s not today that we can call him that. People are angry but let’s respect the law as it is written and call him what he is: a suspect. (p.s.: I would have voted for Willie Nelson to be on the cover as he deserves it more.)

Nekru

Those reads that rag anyway? It's irresponsible to read that outdated rag Rolling Stone.

lucy

he's "glamorized" on this cover. I'm sure the victims don't appreciate this. how about his mug shot or the picture of him lurking around with the backpack full of explosives.