Dennis Farina

'Law & Order' Star Dies

Blood Clot In Lung

7/22/2013 4:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0722_dennis_farina-2

Dennis Farina -- who starred as Det. Joe Fontana on "Law & Order" -- died today in Scottsdale, Arizona after suffering a blood clot in his lung. He was 69.

Farina is a Hollywood legend -- who appeared in tons of classic films and TV shows including "Get Shorty," "Snatch" and "Midnight Run." He also appeared in HBO's series "Luck."

Farina -- who was born in Chicago in 1944 -- is survived by his 3 adult children from his marriage to Patricia Farina. They divorced in 1980.  He also has two granddaughters and four grandsons.

Farina's rep says the actor is also survived by "the love of his life of 35 years, Marianne Cahill." It doesn't appear the two were ever married.

Before he became an actor, Farina was a cop with the Chicago Police Department from 1967 to 1985.

Story developing ...

Ray

Jeeze, what's with the actors dieing off over the past year?

jdjack

To soon to leave us. A great character actor. I always enjoyed your work. Thanks for the entertainment.
Peace be with you and your family!

jdjack

Too soon for a great character actor. Always enjoyed your work sir. Peace be with you and your family.

Marie

Very sad. Great actor! Enjoyed his work- and, will continue to do so. I think he was also in a show called Designing Women- not sure. He may have played the husband of one of the characters in the show. R.I.P. Mr. Farina- enjoy the next ride, you deserve it!!!!

ds peterson

What would he want us to say about him ?

CASSIUS

Awwwwwwwwwwwww man; "Bad food - worse weather -mary f****in' poppins LONDON. I'll miss him

lefty64

He was hilarious always made me laugh, the movie "Snatch" was the best.

Pepp

R.I.P. Mr. Farina

INTIMIDATOR3

This just SUCKS! First, Gandolfini, now Farina. I really LIKED those guys. R.I.P., fellas.

roll3567

Midnight Run.....classic comedy. Rip Dennis and Richie Ice Cubes

Janet Helms

Enjoyed his role on L and O. He will be missed by many!

anya2u

Rest in peace, sir..... you will be missed.

HUGH

A real actor and natural on screen. A genuine loss for the whole world.

HUGH

A real actor and natural in front of the camera. A true loss for the whole world.

tammy

I loved him as an actor and found he brought an honesty to the roles especially those in law enforcement. But he also played the villain very well. We're losing some great ones way too soon ;(