« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Leaves Philadelphia Eagles

After N-Word Threat

8/2/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0802-riley-cooper-getty
Philadelphia Eagles
wide receiver Riley Cooper needs some serious n-word counseling ... so much so he's taken a leave from the team.

A rep for the Eagles was blunt and to the point: "Riley Cooper will be seeking counseling and we have excused him from all team activities."

The rep says Riley needs to understand how his racist threats -- to fight every n***er at the Kenny Chesney concert -- are hurtful.

The team is hedging over whether Cooper will be welcome back.

For his part, Riley says, "The organization and my teammates have been extremely supportive, but I also realize that there are people who will have a tough time forgiving me for what I’ve done. The best thing for me, and for the team, is to step away for a period of time."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

B_Lew

Kasuwell said it best "The hell with 9/11 ! All those people died who cares get over it !!! The hell with the holocaust all those people died who cares get over ... see How insensitive that sounds stop telling African Americans to get over ! Yes my mom can call me stupid I'll probably laugh it off and if a stranger calls me the same thing it would be a war of words if you can't understand that logic don't know what to tell you"

RealTalk26

The problem is that the "N" word has become more a part of today's culture and society. I have seen the word used by African Americans in a more angry tone than the one Cooper used it in. It is not ok for that to be used by ANYONE. Just like the words Jew, Bitch, ***, Queer, Cracker,ect....the list goes on and on. For America to be so up in arms over this and not for the use of other words shows the unnatural bias we have been force fed. African Americans, Hispanics, Caucasians, Asians all use words they shouldn't. LET IT GO! If you label Riley Cooper a Racist then you must label a good portion of America as well.

Lindsay Lohan's Drug Dealer

This is stupid. Rappers should be held accountable too!

RealTalk26

mike53051

Who cares!

mike53051

Why does anyone really care so much about this one word? I mean really, it's just a word.

Pudding Tang

City of brotherly love is not pleased.

Pudding Tang

City of brotherly love is not pleased.

Pudding Tang

City of brotherly love is not pleased.

Youphemism

Gotta say, I detest racists and racism -- but if apologies count for anything, I thought this guy gave about the best one ever. It sounded sincere. If it was written by a lawyer, it's a lawyer I want to hire. If it was fake, then this guy has a career in acting. It was the precise opposite of Paula Deen's car wreck.

Joao

Guess that "apology" didn't save your ass. Next time, tough guy, you got something to say about/to a black guy SAY IT TO HIS FACE--and not when you have your posse to hide behind.

feinburgrl

RILEY COOPER got to understand that only non-white people can be racist.

Trigga31

Why were black people at the Kenny Chesney concert? How many could it have been? 2? This would be more impressive if he said it at a Public Enemy concert

Vote2012

It's ok for blacks to use the n word but when any white says it the world must come to an end, the media hypes this kind of stuff up as news, and brain dead people fall for it.

tamtam

All his teammates forgave him and they fined him. It is not even on Sportscenter anymore. He is doing this to try and save his endorsement dollars of which he will never get any ever again!

For the White people thinking he did nothing wrong, please understand they way he used that word was in a threatening manner towards a man that was trying to do his job!! Riley felt entitled because he plays football and the first thing he thought of to attack a person was based on race. That tells me what kind of person he is. I could care less about this story because I am sure his redneck butt used it all the time growing up. It is what it is.