« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Leaves Philadelphia Eagles

After N-Word Threat

8/2/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0802-riley-cooper-getty
Philadelphia Eagles
wide receiver Riley Cooper needs some serious n-word counseling ... so much so he's taken a leave from the team.

A rep for the Eagles was blunt and to the point: "Riley Cooper will be seeking counseling and we have excused him from all team activities."

The rep says Riley needs to understand how his racist threats -- to fight every n***er at the Kenny Chesney concert -- are hurtful.

The team is hedging over whether Cooper will be welcome back.

For his part, Riley says, "The organization and my teammates have been extremely supportive, but I also realize that there are people who will have a tough time forgiving me for what I’ve done. The best thing for me, and for the team, is to step away for a period of time."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

RealTalk26

The problem is that the "N" word has become more a part of today's culture and society. I have seen the word used by African Americans in a more angry tone than the one Cooper used it in. It is not ok for that to be used by ANYONE. Just like the words Jew, Bitch, ***, Queer, Cracker,ect....the list goes on and on. For America to be so up in arms over this and not for the use of other words shows the unnatural bias we have been force fed. African Americans, Hispanics, Caucasians, Asians all use words they shouldn't. LET IT GO! If you label Riley Cooper a Racist then you must label a good portion of America as well.

Kasuwell

The hell with 9/11 ! All those people died who cares get over it !!!

mike53051

Who cares!

mike53051

Why does anyone really care so much about this one word? I mean really, it's just a word.

Pudding Tang

City of brotherly love is not pleased.

Pudding Tang

City of brotherly love is not pleased.

BeingReal

Black people grinds my fcking gears. they say this stupid ass words all the time but expect no one else to use it. Ignorant ******s need toblearn to live by example. The Eagles are dumb asses. Other players can rape women, kill people and get susoended for one game but Rikey cant say ****** when he's drunk, and having a fight with someone? Fck this team. they suck anyway

freaksloan

If I say something that offends you, that is YOUR PROBLEM and NOT MINE.

If I can say something that UPSETS you, that just means I have POWER of YOU.

Would there be the same outcry if it was a BLACK player at a JAY-Z concert and he said the same thing about white people? The answer is NO!

Cool Papa

I cannot believe how many people are defending this vile, racist s***bag. This is why I need to be hired for TMZ Sports.

B_Lew

Kasuwell said it best "The hell with 9/11 ! All those people died who cares get over it !!! The hell with the holocaust all those people died who cares get over ... see How insensitive that sounds stop telling African Americans to get over ! Yes my mom can call me stupid I'll probably laugh it off and if a stranger calls me the same thing it would be a war of words if you can't understand that logic don't know what to tell you"

Pudding Tang

City of brotherly love is not pleased.

Youphemism

Gotta say, I detest racists and racism -- but if apologies count for anything, I thought this guy gave about the best one ever. It sounded sincere. If it was written by a lawyer, it's a lawyer I want to hire. If it was fake, then this guy has a career in acting. It was the precise opposite of Paula Deen's car wreck.

Joao

Guess that "apology" didn't save your ass. Next time, tough guy, you got something to say about/to a black guy SAY IT TO HIS FACE--and not when you have your posse to hide behind.

feinburgrl

RILEY COOPER got to understand that only non-white people can be racist.

Trigga31

Why were black people at the Kenny Chesney concert? How many could it have been? 2? This would be more impressive if he said it at a Public Enemy concert