« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mike Tyson

I'm a Vicious Alcoholic ...

On the Verge of Dying

8/24/2013 12:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Mike Tyson
has not been living the sober life ... not by a longshot ... in fact he says his alcohol addiction is so dire he's on the "verge of dying."

Tyson dropped the bombshell at a press conference Friday in New York ... telling reporters he's been lying to everyone for years about staying sober.

He confessed, "I wanna change my life, I wanna live a different life now. I wanna live my sober life. I don't wanna die. I'm on the verge of dying, because I'm a vicious alcoholic."

Tyson -- who has been in and out of rehab over 3 times -- said he's been drug and alcohol free for 6 days now and never wants to drink again.

The 47-year-old former champ was in New York to promote his upcoming fight card with Iron Mike Productions.

A rep for Mike tells TMZ ... "Unfortunately Mike has made some mistakes recently but fortunately he now recognizes them and is willing to fight his way back to the road of recovery."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Ginger

Go Mikey!!!

Sunnyboy

In a way I feel sorry for this man. He had the means to do so much good through his boxing talent, instead he piss it all away , I just don't know why us black folk just never learn.

Shotokan500

The one punch champions whole career was a joke

JiLL1

This guy has a lot of demons. Hope he gets help not just for the substance abuse but also for his obvious self loathing.

Ryuga the Dragon Emperor

Let him drink himself to death. Moron chose to drink like there's no tomorrow. I have no sympathy for losers who choose alcohol or drugs.

August

Another 12-Step religious AA/NA cult "HIGHER POWER" Treatment Industry....FAILURE!

A REAL 'HIGHER POWER" would work 100% of the time...NO MATTER WHAT!

August

Why is the 12-Step religious AA/NA cult's "HIGHER POWER" FAILING SO MANY PEOPLE?

Isn't it a REAL "HIGHER POWER"?

NobodySpecial

He's been sober for SIX DAYS. That really shows you he's not going to screw up and go back to being a drunk. SIX DAYS !

The Executives Wife

I'm rooting for you Mike!

rosemaryxoxo

Never too late to ask for help, good luck Mike

t.r.

Never liked this guy. Abuser of women, bully, just plain stupid. Good riddance.

Susanlsmith

Don king robbed him bankrupt

hellooo!!!

Luv ya Mike!

samael

This douche bag sees women as punching bags and consider 's rape as foreplay, my heart bleeds that he is a dumb ass drug addicted alcoholic ex-felon wife beater.

Perhaps not beating women should be on the ist of things to change about himself in this epiphany from hell.

Nope..Dumbass tyson is the champeeen abuser of women!

Comanchegurl