Valerie Harper

'Dancing with the Stars'

Despite Terminal Brain Cancer

8/28/2013 10:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0828-valorie-harper-dwts-tmz
Valerie Harper
-- whom doctors gave three months to live back in March due to her terminal brain cancer -- hasn't just defied medicine by staying alive ... she's signed on to "Dancing with the Stars."

As we reported, 74-year-old Harper -- famous for playing the role of Rhoda on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" -- announced she had been diagnosed with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, a rare form of cancer in which cancer cells spread into the membrane surrounding the brain.

Doctors gave her roughly until June to live ... but it's already August, and we've learned she's doing so well she is set to appear on the upcoming season of "Dancing," an extremely physically-demanding reality show.

We're told Valerie and her partner Tristan have already been practicing for two days, and she's surprisingly good. Our sources say she's completely self-sufficient and doesn't need any special assistance ... at least so far.

TMZ broke the story ... Leah Remini will also be on the next season, as well as Snooki, Elizabeth BerkleyAmber Riley from "Glee," and Christina Milian.

0828_dwts_winners_footer_v2

Francie

Oh boy, I do like her, but now we all know who is going to win, by the sympathy vote, would hate to be a contestant knowing the outcome. Hope she can dance at least.

Arcadia Rink

OH Valerie I just LOVE YOU! Don't forget your lucky scarf! I will be cheering and voting for you!!!

Areader

God bless Valerie!

Jimmy Stink Finger

Dance like an idiot...we Do NOT CARE ! You WIN babe on ALL LEVELS ! Love it !

Dennie

Like! Go Rhoda!

Italia

I feel sorry for the cast and crew on DWTS! Valerie Harper was so difficult to get along with she btched her way out show business. I hope we get to see some of the "behind the scenes" footage of her having one of her meltdowns.

pat

I'm of two minds on this one.

She's 74. If she's doing this because she FEELS good and is lucid and sharp enough and thinks she can go thru the schedule and everything else, let her do it.

but

If, in her mind, this is her last hurrah, people's last chance to see her. Her last chance to hear the applause and feel the adulation, I would find it hard to justify her appearance and I would come down hard on the producers of the show doing this for ratings. That would be despicable.

jetfanglo

hope she dances to 'Staying Alive'...............you go,Val !...........godspeed

Mr. C

This is a true triumph. Not an over publicized, distasteful display of the Miley Cyrus variety, but something significant and beautiful. Laughing in cancer's face is the best medicine. Keep on keeping on, Valerie!

Googie

I LOVE this woman. She's living to the fullest & is a example how to live your life to the fullest. Added bonus is Leah Remini, I will watch every minute they are on. Two of my fav women.

CathyJ

Well done Valerie! Congratulations and I will be cheering you on as well!

LeeLee63

OMG-this is fantastic! Go Valerie and God bless! You are an inspiration!

Nancy

As much as I like Varlerie, I feel sorry for her partner,Tristen. He can't catch a break. Tristin is about 32 years old and gorgeous but since he's been on the show, they have always paired him with the oldest one in the group. Having said that, Valerie should do whatever she wants at this stage of her life.

ac

Good for her. But having that awful Snooky chick on too is disgusting. i will not be watching anyway.

me

Wow! I hope she has the time of her life!