Nintendo Pioneer

Dead at 85

9/19/2013 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0919_hiroshi_nintendo

Ex-Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi -- who revolutionized the video game industry by introducing the world to Super Mario -- died this morning of pneumonia at a hospital in Japan.

Yamauchi introduced the Nintendo Entertainment System to America in 1985, and followed up by launching the greatest video game franchises in history, including Super Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong.

Hiroshi left the company in 2002 -- but reportedly refused to accept his retirement pension allegedly worth between $9 to $14 million dollars ... claiming Nintendo could put it to better use.

With an estimated net worth of around $2.1 billion, Hiroshi was ranked the 13th richest man in Japan at the time of his death.

Hiroshi was 85. He is survived by his wife and 3 kids.

Now fire up that NES and kick some Bowser ass in his honor.

billybob

High score! He earned himself the final stage rightly, the big boss is waiting, whoever she is....

J

SUPER MARIO FOR iOS!!!! SUPER MARIO FOR iPADS. Please make this happen!

Jay W.

NES is still a great system.

RIP Mr. Yamauchi... and thanks for all
the entertainment.

cindy

I was so spaztic. I could never get the hang of that game.

RjVanXetten

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in6RZzdGki8 <

RjVanXetten

Now lets all watch this in memory!

Brian

Nintendo's games are overrated. Back at the start they might have been good but now all Nintendo does is release the same old games generation after generation. I guess their current leaders just aren't as smart as this guy was.

Just My Opinion

Aw, God love him. The dude made my kids very happy. RIP, sweetheart.

Just My Opinion

My kids are grown now, but they still have their Nintendo system, and it still works too!!
They have had PS, PS2, PS3, and now I hear there is a PS4 coming out now. That one is for me. LOL
I have to do something in my old age. LOL

Persephone

RIP, Mr. Yamauchi. You have brought me great joy and countless hours of entertainment. I forgive you for that Yoshi Island addiction and subsequent five-month bout of insomnia back in the 90's. May you fly high in your eternal Tanooki Suit.

Chun LI

RIP Mr Yamauchi. I still love Super Mario Bros.

jay26mc

Thank you Mr Yamauchi. You made my childhood awesome. Except for that powerglove. That thing was a rip off.

some guy

RIP to a man that was such a huge influence on my childhood. May he find plenty of mystery boxes holding giant green mushrooms in his next life.

Sips

Being I grew up in the hood I spent a lot of time playing Nintendo I would like to thank you kind sir for endless hours of fun and sometimes anger RIP

Soda pop

This guy should get a holiday some where

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments