'Fresh Prince' Dad James Avery Dies

Dead At 68

1/1/2014 10:11 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0101-james-avery-02
James Avery -- the beloved dad on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" -- has died at age 68 ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the actor tell TMZ he died in a Glendale, CA hospital last night. Avery had undergone open heart surgery and took a turn for the worse late yesterday.

And we're told ... his wife, Barbara, had been at his bedside but left for a short period of time and when she came back ... she learned he had just died.

Alfonso Ribeiro -- who played Avery's son on "Fresh Prince" -- just posted a message on his Facebook page.

0101-alfonso-facebook-02
Avery starred in dozens of TV shows through the years -- shows like "Grey's Anatomy," "The Closer," "L.A. Law," and "The Jeffersons."  This past year, he appeared in three TV movies -- most recently, "Go, Bolivia, Go!" -- but didn't appear to have other projects in the works.

Avery reunited with most of his "Fresh Prince" cast -- including Will Smith --  two years ago at a charity event.

010113_james_avery_launch

0101-subgallery-james-avery

AuthorDeeS

So sad, a really great actor. Praying for his wife, family and friends.

gossip_woman

that is so sad. he was such a great actor. my condolences to his family and friends and costars of Fresh Prince Of Bel Air.

ThaMartarded1

Truly sad...R. I. P., heard he was a great guy, again still too young

Truth

TMZ would tag EXCLUSIVE on a weather report.

jkmdnp@yahoo.com

sad RIP big guy

lake

Gandolfini Effect. I always wonder why John Goodman and James Earl Jones and others are still alive! THe AP photog who died yesterday, same deal I guess. Start the new year with a commitment to....dropping the excess! Sad for people who loved this guy, but look to the positive; he made it through his 40s and 50s, which is the highest danger zone for overweight men. Use his death as a lesson! Take care of yourselves!!!!

Barbara Rojas

I was with my husband when he took his last breath almost 7 years ago. Although I find comfort with him knowing I was with him until the very end, that last breath is a vision that still haunts me to this day. I think that God stepped in while she was out of the room to save her from sealing that vision in her mind. To literally watch life leave one's body is heart breaking. May he and his family be at peace.

B4-I-FU-RU-18?

That sucks! Loved when he would, toss Will friend Jazz out the door. Za vas! 🍺

B4-I-FU-RU-18?

That sucks! Loved when he would, toss Will friend Jazz out the door. Za vas! 🍺

JoseLizette_NJPhilly

o man i am sad a FUNNY charismatic man sixties just older not old. i am so sad. i have uncle sixty six.look and FEEL younger.20yrs or more. i m wondering what went wrong.my uncle also had the same thing but survive easy same day,was talking.to us.and sitting up in the hospital 4yrs ago at only 59 almost sixty but he was ok i am sad about this RIP sir,i will always smile at your epie's of fresh prince in re-runs.and also other tv you were on and movies,rip

Yurra Knutz

Made me laugh.
R.I.P.

KARMA K

He was a great actor,and seemed to be a great person! He will be missed! Im so sorry to his family! Praying for them!

Jane

That is truly so sad....

Astrogenotype

Other than a few irrelevant comments, I'm glad to see that everyone managed to keep their comments clean. This guy was a lovable teddy bear.

Observer

Oh, too bad. He was a good interesting actor and seemed like a really pleasant guy.

Regards to his family, friends and loved ones.