Russell Johnson

Professor From Gilligan's Island

Dead at 89

1/16/2014 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0116-Russell-Johnson-gilligans-island

The actor who played the Professor in "Gilligan's Island" has died ... TMZ has learned.

Russell Johnson, who played Professor Roy Hinkley, died of natural causes at his home in Washington.

Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann, just posted on Facebook, "My 2 favorite people are now gone.  The professor past (sic) away this morning.  My heart is broken."

The other person who died is Bob Denver, who played Gilligan.  He died in 2005.

Johnson was on the show from 1964 to 1967.   Johnson was not in the original opening of the show.  He and Mary Ann were referred to as "The rest."  But Denver insisted that they be included and that happened later.

011614_gilligans_island_theme_launch
Wells went on:  "Russell was a true gentleman, a good father, a great friend, and 'the rest.'"

Johnson was married -- this was his third wife.  He passed away in hospice, surrounded by his wife and 2 kids.

Johnson was 89.

The only surviving members of the original cast are Mary Ann and Ginger, played by Tina Louise.

011614_profesor_schools_launch

0116_russell_johnson_remembering_footer

Dan

I met Russell Johnson at LAX in 1973 while waiting for my girlfriend to return from Norway. I approached him and told him I was a fan and we spoke briefly. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met. A true gentleman.

Perry

Its amazing the difference in the commentary that you hear when one of the "oldies" dies in comparison to when one of these younger Hollywood stars pass.. People mostly have only good things to say about the stars of "old Hollywood" regarding their character etc.. Its a shame "STARS" of today don't shine with the same pride ...

Deb

Awww, Professor, R.I.P. You were so perfect on Gilligan's Island!! THank you for all the fun watching you on Gilligan's!

winterspring

Gilligan's Island, Batman, Lost in Space, The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, etc. Hard to believe so much time has passed. God bless.

Dave

A classic television show and a classic character. RIP Mr. Johnson. Thanks for all the laughs an wonderful memories.

Cool Breeze

The show was a part of growing up in 60's.

Ron Fing Swanson

Only man that can make a radio out of a coconut, rip

chicagoannie

Oh, so sad - he was I think my very first little girl crush! But 89 is a good long life.

bree_zee

Such a sad day! RIP Mr. Johnson. You were one of my inspirations as a kid. You made science seem so cool.

Collette

Gilligan's Island, Batman, Lost in Space, F Troop, etc. Wonderful times. Wonderful memories.

pd

Remember the show, one of the favorites. They just don't make them like they used to. He played a great part!!

jwal

Don't forget he was also in one of the best "Twilight Zone" (original series) ever made.

Len

In the early '50s Russell Johnson had a smallo role in a film which starred Ronald Reagan. Now Johnson had fought and was wounded more than once in WWII, while Ronald Reagan remained stateside and did a broadcast in which he faked being present at the liberation of a concentration camp, and later claimed to have been there. On the movie set Reagan was going around demanding that everyone on the set sign a "loyalty oath". (Remember, this was the McCarthy era.) Russell told Reagan where he could put his loyalty oath. I have admired this man since hearing this story, and I am sorry he is gone.

Carl

Bob Denver may be the other person she meant, but the way you wrote it makes it sound like they are the only two that died. The people that played the Skipper, Mr. Howell, and Mrs. Howell have also died. In fact the only living members of the main cast are Wells and Tina Louise.

Gary