Russell Johnson

Professor From Gilligan's Island

Dead at 89

1/16/2014 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0116-Russell-Johnson-gilligans-island

The actor who played the Professor in "Gilligan's Island" has died ... TMZ has learned.

Russell Johnson, who played Professor Roy Hinkley, died of natural causes at his home in Washington.

Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann, just posted on Facebook, "My 2 favorite people are now gone.  The professor past (sic) away this morning.  My heart is broken."

The other person who died is Bob Denver, who played Gilligan.  He died in 2005.

Johnson was on the show from 1964 to 1967.   Johnson was not in the original opening of the show.  He and Mary Ann were referred to as "The rest."  But Denver insisted that they be included and that happened later.

011614_gilligans_island_theme_launch
Wells went on:  "Russell was a true gentleman, a good father, a great friend, and 'the rest.'"

Johnson was married -- this was his third wife.  He passed away in hospice, surrounded by his wife and 2 kids.

Johnson was 89.

The only surviving members of the original cast are Mary Ann and Ginger, played by Tina Louise.

011614_profesor_schools_launch

0116_russell_johnson_remembering_footer

pacolts

growing up i loved this show and watched it over and over. love all the cast but being a young boy(at the time) i still loved maryann and ginger. love you all...thanks for the memories to you all!!!!! i hope when it's my time i end up on the island with you. i'm pretty sure professer can figure out how to make booze from coconuts. maybe i can get maryann and ginger drunk!!! lol love all of you!!!!!!!!!

Lee Peyton

There goes another piece of my childhood

Brenda

R.I.P. Mr Johnson.

big fan past and present

I watched the originals when I was growing up and now I watch the re-runs as I am growing old. I love all of the cast and as someone said the skipper & Gilligan are waiting on him to welcome him home again

Lee Peyton

There goes another piece or my childhood

janlou85

The original McGyver. Rest in peace.

pacolts

i have grown up watching this show. watched it over and over. russel "the professer" grew up not far from me. i am in scranton pa. i loved that show as a kid and am proud he is from my area. i loved all the people on the show but as a "young boy" my favories were ginger and maryann. maybe when it's my time god will send me to the island. and maybe the professor will figure out how to mak booze out of coconuts so i can get ginger and maryann drunk....hehehe!!! lol rip and god bless russell.

ProudMexicanAmericanWoman

Aww RIP I love that show & the professor!

olu32

I was just watching the Gilligan's Island, last night, I wondered what happened to him. May he rest in peace

mousetrap

Gilligan's Island reruns were on every afternoon after school in the '70's. It was a big part of my childhood. Good memories. Rest in Peace.

green head

Thank you for your Service to OUR COUNTRY Russell Johnson....

Roberta

The Professor! I liked him the best!

Even though the entire cast were teriffic !

Gilligan's Island was a wonderful TV show!

Kat

R.I.P How we enjoyed you and this show. I am glad to hear that TV Land has placed it back.. I have grown so tired of networks playing violent , ***my shows.

Eve357

I USE 2 WATCH THEM EVERY WEEKEND WHEN I WAS 10YRS OLD I AM VERY SADING TO HEAR THAT EVERY ONE IS GOING . OFF THE ISLAND EXPECTED MARY ANN,GINGER, I HOPE THAT PARTED W / MARY ANN ,GINGER MAKE EVERYONE READ PUT SMILE ON THERE FACE .HE WILL ALWAYS BE REMEMBER AND MISSED

dale

my condolences to the family I loved that show with him in it he was funny