Philip Seymour Hoffman

DEAD of Apparent Heroin OD

Needle Found in Arm

2/2/2014 6:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0202_psh_splashPhilip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday in a New York City apartment of an apparent drug overdose ... TMZ has learned authorities found a needle in his arm.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... the actor was found Sunday morning inside a Greenwich apartment ... and they're still on scene investigating.

Our sources say ... Hoffman was found in his bathroom in his boxer shorts, with a needle sticking out of his left arm.  We're told police found 10 glassine envelopes -- 2 of the envelopes had heroin ... the others presumably were empty.

One of the envelopes had "Ace of Spades" written on it, and another had an ace of hearts symbol -- such symbols and words are often markers from people who make heroin -- to brand it.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ...  Hoffman was supposed to pick up his kids at 9 AM Sunday but didn't show -- which was unusual for him.  A playwright and a friend became concerned, came over and found the actor alone in the apartment.

0202_APARTMENT_TMZ_WM_SPLITDetails surrounding his death are unclear ... but the actor had struggled with drug problems ... most recently checking himself into a rehab facility for heroin back in May.

TMZ broke the story of Hoffman going to rehab.  We were told he did it as a preventative measure because he was getting close to a major relapse.  A source involved in Hoffman's treatment now tells TMZ ... the actor said at the time he was on the brink of becoming a heroin IV user and wanted to nip it in the bud before that happened.

As we previously reported ... Hoffman had been clean for 23 years but fell off the wagon in 2012.

It appears Hoffman's last interview was at the Sundance Film Festival with XiXi Yang from PopStopTV for his movie "A Wanted Man."

020214_seymour_hoffman_interview_launch
Hoffman's family released a statement saying, "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support."

Law enforcement sources tell us his autopsy will take place Monday.

0202_rememberingphilip-seymour-hoffman_launch

TheMoosiah

I'll miss your work Phil, I hope you are at peace.

nof

Horrible.

Next to Brad Dourif.

Probably the best acting prof we've ever had at C.U.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Drug Dealers: 1
Addicts: 0

Rollsroyceaz

He decided to leave before the Super Bowl guess he didn't like Peyton manning's sweet govt hook up on this years govt given vision and energy to get where he's at... This guy is sitting somewhere eating a cheeseburger now rest in cheeseburger land... He's not dead people

Spunky Funk

Honestly don't really know who this is. I am not a movie buff.

DirkDiggler

Everything I needed to know about life, I learned from Godfathers 1& 2. "Narcotics is dirty business." -Vito Corleone

Killahboi

Destiny's child survivor was playing when authorities broke in and found him stiff as a log

immamamma

So so sad, he was one of my favorite actors. One of my faves was his character, Sandy Lyle, in Along Came Polly. I crack up every time I watch him in that movie. What a huge loss.

Sillywilly

Russian roulette these drugs, every time you take a chance.

who cares

Should i feel bad that I dont know who this is, or that who ever he was he wasn't someone to idolize..

ilj

All of you idiots out there saying he was the idiot. Have you ever dealt with addiction? It is real People die from it. They most certainly do not deserve it. Keep throwing stones.

Doodlebug

The talented mr ripely .. One of my favorite movies. So blessed I don't need drugs/alcohol in my life they are evil

cece

Good actor. What a loss.
My condolences to family

Peppers

Very upsetting. A family friend was lost not too long ago from the same struggle, and I can imagine what those close to him are going through. Rest in peace to a gifted actor.

GothamGirl

So sad. Such talent, and three young children, tragic for them.