« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Michael Sam

College Football Star Reveals

... I'M GAY

2/9/2014 5:17 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0209_michael-sam_getty

Missouri Tigers superstar Michael Sam -- one of the best college football players in the country -- has revealed he's gay ... and the timing comes just months before he will enter the NFL Draft.

Sam -- the SEC Defensive Player of the Year -- made the announcement publicly on Sunday  ... saying, "I am an openly, proud gay man."

If (and when) he's drafted, Sam will be the first openly gay man on an NFL roster in the history of the league.

"I understand how big this is. It's a big deal. No one has done this before. And it's kind of a nervous process, but I know what I want to be ... I want to be a football player in the NFL."

24-year-old Sam said he already confided in a few friends ... and realized people knew while he was at the Senior Bowl. Sam says he dated another male athlete at Missouri, but not a member of the football team.

Sam says he finally came out to his teammates last year ... and they couldn't have been more supportive.

"I was kind of scared, even though they already knew. Just to see their reaction was awesome. They supported me from Day One. I couldn't have better teammates. ... I'm telling you what: I wouldn't have the strength to do this today if I didn't know how much support they'd given me this past semester."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Superbowlchamps

I bet the Raiders draft him since that whole team is gay.

JB

Cool. He's a great player. Maybe one day people won't be idiotic to even care if someone is gay or straight. Shouldn't matter - he's an awesome player.

NameNotImportat

He's an idiot. He won't get drafted see Kerry Rhodes for proof.

billson1234

And you felt the need to announce it why?

Astrogenotype

Why is sexuality so important that people feel the need to announce to the world they are gay? Hey everybody, I'm straight!! I luv couchi! In fact, I love to eat, rub, stick it, just about anything one can imagine. Besides my girlfriend and a few chicks who like me, who cares?! Exactly!! No one cares.

BigSamStewart

That mustache certainly wasn't in the closet.

Just Steve

There's 43 things wrong with that picture and they all have to do with his face

Madelaine J

If this kid doesn't get drafted what will the NFL have to say then? Good for you for helping others know it's ok. You can still be an amazing athlete!!

bernergirl

Good for him. I hope he goes first round.

nick

I would not want a gay man falling untop of me grabbing me and using a locker room with me if I were a footvall player....men knows how men think....men are turned on by sight and I would not want another man lookingtouching me and looking at my naked body in the showers....

DirkDiggler

He will be right at home in San Francisco

DirkDiggler

At least Tony Romo came out first

nick

Sharing a locker room eith a gay man is the same as sharing one with the opposite sex....gay men are attracted to men and men are nasty...sex is always on their mind

nick

Your butthole is for pooping

nick

Your teammates are supportive....believe me a straight man do not want a gay man to be in such close contact as football players need to be in

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments