« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Univ. of Missouri QB

I 'Accept' Michael Sam

But I Don't Support Homosexuality

2/10/2014 5:16 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0210_James-Franklin_Michael-Sam_gettyMichael Sam's college quarterback tells TMZ Sports ... he and other teammates "accepted" the openly gay football star during their time at Missouri ... but they don't "support" homosexuality.

We spoke with James Franklin -- who just completed his senior year at U of M and just like Sam, is expected to be selected in the upcoming NFL Draft.

"I don't drink.  I don't curse.  I don't support [homosexuality] -- but it doesn't mean I don't accept Michael," Franklin says.

When asked if he was supportive of Sam when he made his announcement in August, Franklin said ... "I wouldn't say supportive, but accepting.  A lot of people confuse supporting and accepting."

Still, Franklin says ... "Michael respected us.  He didn't make us feel uncomfortable in the locker room."

"He can be whoever he wants to be.  I'll be there for him no matter what."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Bruno

And I, for one, don't support Down Syndrome. How about that for stupidity?

indaknow

YOMAMA = We all know your gay and crave a congo roll in your mouth.

Machelle

100% agree

indaknow

If Sam has an upset stomach, do you think it might be because of something he ate or swallowed?

indaknow

I am a straight male who loves attractive athletic females. Would it be wrong to for me to be in a locker room with females who are showering and getting dressed? Think about it!

Kteafatiller

I went to school with james and he isn't the bad guy in this article he's never hated anyone the james I know is very accepting to anyone and everyone. I think we should have more people like james in this world way to represent lake dallas james good job such a class act :)

American American American

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE between a HOMOSEXUAL and a GAY? Why do only GAY people "come out"? Where are the Homosexuals, and when are they going to come out and publicly support the GAYs?

Sai

James "accepts" Michael Sam for being a homosexual but does not support homosexuality? So then he does NOT officially "accept" Sam if he doesn't "accept" everything that goes along with being gay. I not saying James has to like anything about homosexuality, his life, his choice. But don't half-ass your support for someone if you personally don't agree with the overall lifestyle of said person. Just saying...

mizunderstood

Why do they have to even bring it up, I don't need to know their sexual preference. I don't watch sports because someone is gay or straight so why even bring it up. I'm sure there are other men in the sport who are homosexuals, they don't get hired for their sexuality they get hired based on their ability in sports. I just don't understand anymore why people feel the need to air all their business, its going to tarnish the sport for what it really is. I'm happy for him that he's gay, I'd be happy for him being straight I don't watch football or any other sport based on someones sexual preference.

Tahart

Translation: "I hate ***s, but since the majority of my team was supportive of him, I had no choice but to be also."

indaknow

Next thing you know you are going to start seeing a check box for your sexual preferrence on your next job application. And once they get enough backing they are going to want to become a minority. What is this world coming to? Yet the homosexual community wants to protest the Russian Olympics because they don't accept the homosexuality lifestyle. This lifestyle is not openly accepted around the world. The muslims are terrorizing the world because of these western lifestyles. Quit trying to force your choices on us and keep your sexual preferences in the bedroom where they belong!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4