Shirley Temple Black

Dies at 85

2/11/2014 3:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0211-shirley-temple-03
Shirley Temple Black -- arguably the most famous child star ever -- has died.

Black passed away at her home in Woodside, California from natural causes.

She was an enormous star in her heyday.  She began her acting career at 3 and her singing and dancing was irresistible. Her most famous song, "On the Good Ship Lollipop" riveted audiences.

021114_shirley_temple_launch
Her movies were must-sees in the 30s -- especially "Bright Eyes," "Stand Up and Cheer" and "Curly
Top."

She was so popular a drink was named after her, and kids copied her curly haircut the way people copied Farrah Fawcett's decades later.

In 1934, she was given a miniature Oscar for her work.

Black hung up the acting towel at 21 -- back in 1950 -- and after a break she returned to the public eye by throwing her hat in the political arena ... running for Congress as a Republican.

She became a U.S. diplomat ... serving as U.S. ambassador to Ghana and Czechoslovakia.

She married her first husband at 17, but it didn't last.  Her second marriage to Charles Black endured.

Black's family and caregivers were with her when she died.

The family said, "We salute her for a life of remarkable achievements as an actor, as a diplomat, and most importantly as our beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and adored wife for 55 years of the late and much missed Charles Alden Black."

021114_shirley_temple_animals_launch

021114_shirley_temple_bright_eyes_launch

0211_shirley_temple_photos_remembering_footer_v3

Just My Opinion

I cried this morning when I heard this on the news. I grew up watching her and I just adored her so much.
R.I.P Shirley .. I love you very much!

The Good Ship Lollipop has now taken you to a better place.

just because

shirley temple dead

just because

Who's Left now???!!! Pippi Longstocking?!!!

just because

i hope dj am, paul walker, heath ledger, travis barkers assistant, tupac, proof from d12, the kid from n2get+her,

NameNotImportat

No one under 60 cares...

lisa

watch her when I was growing up RIP Shirley Temple

Stupid ppl

Finally we can talk about a REAL celebrity ,not that murderer Zimmerman.May you rest in peace Shirley Temple .

bbbarbiedoll

People saying stupid things about this woman just proves how ignorant and disrespectful the generations are becoming. No hope for our kids future when they just get more stupid with time. Ever seen the movie "idiocracy"? Yeah, it's like that. Smh .

JMitch

She was a woman with class, unlike some of the idiots commenting. May God bless her beautiful, sweet soul.

IMPERFECT

Thought she lived in woodland hills, ca not woodside ca

john johnson

long, long before honey boo boo. R.I.P.

Mizit4

RIP

Miara

Thanks Shirley Temple, for all of the wonderful childhood memories with "Our Gang" on the Little Rascals. RIP

DDKITTY

I agree with the other posts that say a true Hollywood legend was lost. Rest in peace Shirley.

DDKITTY