« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jamaican Bobsled Team

Watermelon Helmets?

Watermelon Helmets.

2/17/2014 8:18 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0217_jamaica_watermelon_helmets_sochi_olympics_launch_v3File This Under: "Questionable Decision Making" ... but the Jamaican Bobsled Team competed over the weekend wearing helmets that looked like watermelons.

Of course, in the U.S. ... there's a well-known stereotype about black people and watermelon -- but in fact, it's not really a "thing" in Jamaica.

Still, a little weird to see a team consisting entirely of black people wearing helmets that look like watermelon.

As one Jamaican source put it ... "I don't know about any stereotype ... all I know is we eat them, not put them on our heads."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

TuxThePenguin

if that's what Jamaicans day and think, then good for them. Why are you race-baiting again???

TuxThePenguin

*say

Poppy

I think they look kinda cool.

boo boo

Hey tmz, your whole line of bigotry really only works in America. The entire world does not share/care about our racist "history?"! Last week it was fried chicken, this week it's watermelons....Quit trying to make every single thing into something it's not. We do a good enough job making ourselves look like tools, we don't need your help!

LB

But you morons felt it's worthy of a useless story to race bait.

Scottpso4

Bleck people in America are offended by everything. That stereotype is perpetuated by black people themselves. That and fried chicken. I don't know a white person that doesn't like fried chicken or watermelon. I used to eat a half a watermelon a day and I'm white and I also love fried chicken. Black people create these stereotypes and white people run with the ball. It's only offensive if white people say black people like watermelon and fried chicken. If only America as a whole would stop being so sensitive, our country would stop going backwards.

Jennifer

TMZ is just calling out to the racist trolls to comment.

James R. - Los Angeles

Watermelon shots are tasty.

smiley25

You people at tmz really need to stop stirring the pot. You guys at tmz I see work for the devil. Every other article is about stereotypes, or racism, or about homophobia. It would be nice to print some positive articles every now and then you guys are really causing more damage then what is needed in this country. I'm half Jamaican obviously watermelon isn't viewed the same way there as it is in this country so stop with the racist B.S.

k

That's an American thing...I'm from the Caribbean, we don't have the racist complex that Americans do. Fried chicken and watermelon are ok down there

think101

These Jamaicans are from Jamaica, don't get it twisted. They don't have our hang ups and paranoia. Let it go.

Matt

I'm white and I ****ing love watemellon. Make fun of me for it all you want. I'll get a tattoo of one, eat it in public, wear a t-shirt and etc.. That been said, whit the hell would anyone care if a culture eats a food and likes it? Then why would that culture care if dumb asses laugh at the food you eat? Its food! I've never met a Jewish guy who wanted to fight over the mention of a matzah ball. I just don't get our wuss country

Lalaland

I can clearly see who the racists are

getreal

Who cares its a damn watermelon..jamaicans have always been known to have a tacky sense of fashion and I love them for it..in their culture they are ok with wearing whatever pleases them...i would love however to see a white person wear a saltine on their heads hahahahahaha

TeeDee

I'm Jamaican, and I'm unaware of the stereotype with watermelons. Cut it out TMZ. Always trying to start something unnecessary.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments