Shayne Lamas, Nik Richie

We Named Our Son

After He Died

2/19/2014 1:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0218_nik_richie_shayne_lamas_tmz
Shayne Lamas
and husband Nik Richie not only tragically lost their 20-week-old unborn baby last week ... Nik was put through one of the most heart-wrenching moments a father can bear -- having to name and hold the baby after it died.

TMZ broke the story ... Shayne suffered a rare pregnancy complication last week and underwent an emergency hysterectomy to save her life and stop the massive bleeding.  In the process, she lost her baby.

Nik tells TMZ ... a few days after the baby died, a social worker from the hospital, along with someone involved in the religion affiliated with the hospital, came to him and asked if he wanted to know the gender of his baby.  He said yes, and they told him the baby was "a beautiful boy."

But then Nik says, he was asked if he wanted to view his son to get closure.  Nik says he nervously obliged and was taken to a room where his son lay.  Nik says they asked him to hold the baby while they prayed.

But it wasn't over.  Nik was then told he needed to name his child so they could fill out a birth certificate.  Nik, who was overwrought with emotion, told them he always wanted a son named Rex, so he named the boy Rex Jagger Lamas-Richie.  He chose Jagger because of Mick.

Nik says he's glad he got to see his son but it was the hardest thing he's ever done.

As for Shayne ... Nik says she doing better but -- after a medically-induced coma and a cardiac arrest scare -- she's still in ICU and in danger.

Nik wrote a letter to his son, that he asked us to share.

0218_NIK_RICHIE_sub_doc2

Kay in San Diego

This is still so sad. Haters shouldn't judge Nik for publishing a love letter to his dead son. It was his way to try to heal.

Mike

I really doubt the story happened the way it is being reported. If it did though it couldn't have happened to a more deserving POS than Nik. At least he stayed classy by giving TMZ a letter to generate more Internet traffic. Stay classy TMZ and Nik

DownSouth

Funny how they worded this to make believing in God sound like an out-there thing. Like it's cuckoo or nutty and it was dirty. It's all goody goody gum drops for you to stick a dik in through the out hole but if you believe in God, watch out for crazy person.

William Foresman

so sad sorry this would happen to anyone...

Truth

Karma. That guy is a pathetic excuse for a human bring. And, he makes a media spectacle out of this tragedy?? Says it all, really.

Suxtobehim

What a gut wrenching but beautifully written letter to his son.

paul a.

20 weeks? Unborn baby? Planned Parenthood and Wendy Davis would disagree with that description......

barbiemacs

I lost a baby at 5 months in the late 70's. The doctor also told me they could tell me the sex but I declined. They asked if they could keep it to analyze and run tests etc. I said they could. I could not have coped if it had been the little girl I had always wanted. I had a four yr old son and wanted a little girl...then I was done. I planned on getting a tubalization after this pregnancy if I had my little girl. I went on and had another boy about three years later. I then had my tubes tied as I did not want more than two children. Sometimes you don't understand why God does what he does. But now that both of my sons are raised I look back and thank God because I would have never had my second son, if my baby had not died. Both my sons are very loving and have done nothing but make me proud. I have always believed that you are not to ask God why but just accept and that is how I handled it. I often wonder if that was my little girl but I feel ok in not knowing. I just know my second son is so precious and I can't imagine my life without him. We all have to deal with life's tragedies in our own way but I hope in giving the hospital my baby that maybe other babies have survived as a result of my baby and that loss. I do know what caused the miscarriage and it was just an act of God. My older son was frightented during a bad lighting thunder storm and had climbed into bed with my husband and I. It was dark and he stumbled and fell into the small of my back. The next day I started miscarriaging at work and was rushed to the hospital in pain and lost the baby later that night. Neither my husband nor I wanted to know the sex or see the baby. It was the only way we could deal with the loss. I do know things happen for a reason and all things have a purpose. As did my baby. My heart goes out to the Nic and Shayne as I do know what they are feeling. I wish I could have had Nic's strength and do what he did in his loss. My deepest condolences and knowing Nic and Shayne's stuggles within their marriage think this tragedy may make them closer and to realize how precious life is...as well as love and marriage. We tend to be so busy in life and forget sometimes to really appreciate the struggles as well as the successes. This sort of loss wakes you up and makes you appreciate both so much more. Everytime I look at my grown sons I just thank God for them and understand the struggles are what makes you truly appreciate what you have. My deepest deepest condolences from the bottom of my heart. Trust God Nic and my prayers are with both of you. What an honor you bestowed upon your little angel. You are very courageous and I have a new found admiration for both of you.

mousetrap

Maybe this experience will change Nik and he will realize just how both precious and fragile life can be. It is crushing to lose a baby and it is also life crushing for an innocent person to be publicly humiliated on a well known website. Maybe now Nik will think about some of the souls he has crushed and lives he has destroyed and compare it to his grief. I don't believe in Karma because I do not believe in the supernatural. But parallels can be drawn and should be considered.

chachaheels

I believe this truly is karma. He's reaping what he sewed.

Lyra

Maybe he'll have some compassion towards the families of women who have killed themselves because of his website

daisy

It is cruel for the hospital to have coerced him into seeing the 20-week fetus 3 days after the miscarriage, that was unnecessary and really unconscionable given the cir***stances. Even a religion-affiliated hospital should know better than that. Asking if they wish to provide a name is one thing, but seeing and holding a fetus is altogether beyond the pale.

ShortyJ

I don't know if this is bad reporting by TMZ or if something fishy is going on. Shayne was due at the beginning of August, according to Nik on his website. I am due august 8th which puts me at 15 1/2 weeks as of today. Let's say Shayne was due on August 1st it would put her at a week ahead of me, which as of today would put her at 16 1/2 weeks. Which means when she lost her baby there is no way she could have been 20 weeks. With that said, I lost my son at 18 weeks a year ago. I wouldn't wish that kind of pain and suffering even on my worst enemy. I pray that they find closer and know that the memory of their son never has to die.

There's a problem here

Some of you self-righteous people should really give it up. Obviously if you know who he is and what The Dirty is all about you've been there, so you're no better than he is.

Hank

This story is truly sad. That said what religion is this exactly? I just need to know so I can avoid if I decide to change.