Harold Ramis

DEAD at 69

2/24/2014 9:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0224-harold-ramis-01
Hollywood legend Harold Ramis -- famous for his films "Caddyshack," "Ghostbusters," "Groundhog Day," and "Animal House" -- has died.

According to his family, the writer-director passed away early this morning at his Chicago home from complications stemming from autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis, a rare disease involving the swelling of blood vessels. He was surrounded by his family.

Ramis was 69. He is survived by his wife Erica, his sons Julian and Daniel, his daughter Violet, and two grandchildren.

Ramis began suffering from health issues related to his autoimmune disease in 2010.

In addition to "Caddyshack" and others, the comedy legend directed "National Lampoon's Vacation," "Analyze This" and several other films. He also wrote sequels to his films, like "Ghostbusters 2" and "Caddyshack 2."

0224_remembering_Harold_Ramis_footer_v3

DownSouth

So what you're saying is that he died from complications caused by the AIDS virus? Hmmm

nof

Until the Farrelly's came along...

You could make a case for ANIMAL HOUSE?

Being the most ground-breaking comedy ever filmed.

Peter Farrelly told Harold that.

He said I'm here because of you.

Changed the game.

Made us all believe we had a chance.

Menace211

Damn, I was hoping for a Ghostbusters 3 for a long time. This sucks for sure. Rest in peace Egon

Nikki

Noooooooooo! Now they'll probably make a shi††y Ghostbusters remake with Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, Michael Cera and James Franco. NOOOOOOO!!!!!

jeebus chris

Bummer. SCTV was my favourite show when I was a kid. At the time, I thought Harold Ramis was the least funny one on it. Then I found out he actually wrote most of the stuff. When I grew up and went back to watch all those early episodes, his characters that I didn't think were all that funny when I was a kid were hilarious. Too subtle for me to appreciate when I was little, but brilliant when I was older.

Gsharon 710

Thanks for the entertainment. RIP

Chris

A really smart, talented, and a good guy. His legacy speaks for itself. He will be missed.

I-See-Dumb-People

Such a brilliant comedic mind. RIP Harold!

mayhemlikeme

Heaven just got a little funnier today.

SenorPlaid

He's crossed the stream.

William Foresman

Most actors would be proud to be in just one memorable movie but Harold was in 5! You'll be missed, Bro!

Choade McPooter

Horrible news! Now he can dance wither the gophers in heaven.

Serpent of Sandoz

Today in heaven: "Toga! Toga! Toga!"

Keyser Söze

This man made my childhood way better than it ever deserved to be. Years of laugher, because of his contribution.

Thank you for everything, sir; RIP^.

Denver

Genius writer and director. Favorite scenes with him in Stripes when he taught his students English. Ghostbusters had their time. 3 would have been a mistake.