'12 Years a Slave' Star

I Used to Pray For Lighter Skin

3/1/2014 7:55 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

"12 Years a Slave" star Lupita Nyong'o says she repeatedly prayed to God asking for lighter skin during her adolescence ... because she thought having dark black skin was a curse.

Nyong'o was honored with an award on Thursday at a luncheon for Essence ... and said she was teased growing up for her "night-shaded skin" ... so she prayed God would change it.

Lupita says she was so ashamed she couldn't even look at herself in the mirror ... adding, "Every day I experienced the same disappointment of being just as dark as I had been the day before."

The actress says supermodel Alek Wek -- one of the first dark skinned supermodels -- helped boost her confidence ... because people like Oprah praised her as a beautiful woman.

Nyong'o says she ultimately learned that beauty comes in all shades ... and hopes to be an inspiration to other young girls with similar concerns.

0301-Alex-Wek-sub-01

BLUE UGLY 💩

TMZers, pray that I never stop posting please

MightyMatt

She is a beautiful, talented woman. But why is this news? I used to pray for a smaller pecker. So what?

ғυтυяεм ♀

Where are all the people who usually post the racist comments? Lunch break?

Jah36

Whatever coon!

diane

Who cares

Cotton Club Parade

Ummm soo....That is NOT Alek Wek in the picture below. Not all black African people look alike.

Chris

If you are teased in Kenya for being too black, you have issues. Nyong'o moved back to Kenya with her parents when she was less than one year old,[7] when her father was appointed a professor at the University of Nairobi.[8] She grew up primarily in Kenya, and describes her upbringing as "middle class, suburban".[9]

Truth is

Black is beautiful..there's a reason God made black ppl as with all other race. There's beauty in every race and ugly in every race

Bellaca

TMZ, that model is NOT Alek Wek, but another Sudanese model.

Lupita comes across as confident. I think she has grown into her skin. I know it must be tough.

This is why we need more women with this complexion of TV.

Enough with telling us how Mariah Carey and Paula Patton represent us. They do NOT.

We need more Naomi Campbell, Alek Wek, Olouchi and Lupita types.

s_megma

I prefer light skinned chicks like Vanessa Williams or mulattoes.

She's baaaack

Good luck to you, lovely black woman, but Cate Blanchett was freaking amazing and I'm rooting for her. I wish all of you could win. Really. I get it though, there are the lighter black people, like Beyonce keeps getting lighter and lighter and like MJ, and the real black people like yourself. You are beautiful. You are a dark, lovely flower. Screw the rest of them.

Yes, I'm That Leah

I'm SO glad she learned to love herself. She's a beauty. As an African American, I have seen so many beautiful dark skinned women in the community struggle with their complexion. My own dark skinned sister grew up hating herself. I hate to hear stories like this.

The world is disgusting

I'm half black and I get that that maybe she suffered some harassment when she was young, but lawd why do black people still act like we are in the 1920's???!!! STOP IT! The only hate we receive, we project on ourselves! Stop playing the "woe is me, I'm black" card. Or the, "I wished I was lighter when I was younger" card. STOP. MOVE ON.

Eye roll

That's sad that she felt that way. I'm white and growing up all I wanted to do was be tan. She's a beautiful woman.

Lina

Good for her. She is gorgeous, and I get that it's important to be a role model for very dark-skinned black women and girls.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments