Famous Deaf Actress

Fan Facing Criminal Charges

Over Suicide Threat

4/3/2014 9:58 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0403-marlee-matlin-0
A fan who contacted Oscar-winning actress Marlee Matlin and publicly threatened to kill herself is now in the crosshairs of cops ... because cops say the phantom has committed the crime of public nuisance.

The fan -- who claimed she was a quadriplegic named Raena Patatta -- tweeted at Marlee Wednesday, writing, "I've decided to end my life today. It's been a struggle, but I've had enough. This will end my pain and paralysis. Sorry @MarleeMatlin :("

Marlee immediately contacted police in Nova Scotia -- where Raena said she lives -- and the Halifax PD scrambled to find her.

A rep for the department tells TMZ, police have determined the Twitter user who made the threat does NOT live in Nova Scotia, leading them to believe it's all a hoax.

Cops have yet to locate the person behind the tweets, but when they do, we're told the person could face the charge of public mischief -- which, in Canada, is punishable by 5 years in jail.

The investigation is ongoing.

Dash

I looked up this person.. They said they're 18.. Crap it could be a old man

Brian

Are they going to be tougher against this person than they are against people who do a lot more to stars like Taylor Swift? You must stay 100 yards away from her. Sounds like this person could go to jail if they're found. Over tweets?

zombie

Twitter needs to DIAF!

James R. - Los Angeles

"Famous Deaf Actress"??? WTF??? You couldn't just post "Actress"???

Chris

What a waste of time for all concerned, including this article.

Jennifer

How rude to call her "famous deaf actress" than by her name!!!! Sunk to a new low, TMZ! A lot of us know who she is by name. Disgusting!

namers

5 years for a public mischief in CA? I hear the Beebs is there...keep him!

WildeaboutAusten

Wooow, TMZ. A new low. "Famous Deaf Actress" but you'll name drop a Kardashian/Jenner pretty fast!! What a shame that I've witnessed a decline in common sense in your articles. Horrible title. Horrible.

Lo From Wisco

I'm pretty sure people know who Marlee Matlin is. "Famous Deaf Actress?" Really, TMZ??

james

am i the only one wondering how a quadriplegic would kill herself?

JLCollins

Wow, I live in Halifax. I was reading the twitter for hfxpolice this morning and this was on there but I didn't know what they were talking about. Crazy.

betseymcqueen

Next title will be "Midget Henry Winkler wins Oscar. " does a single person on your staff posses common decency? How about common sense? No? Not a single one? The next step, you'll just do away with all politically correct speech and call everyone the N word. Nice, kmz.

DiM

Even if this message was a "hoax" and they are not serious, the action itself might indicate mental illness so I hope that is considered during sentencing. 5 years in jail is a waste in Cnd. tax dollars and doesn't prove much.

DiM

Even if this person didn't really mean this, the action may indicate mental illness so I hope they consider this during sentencing. 5 Years in jail won't help the person or society.

J

The " famous deaf actress" has a name. Losers.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments