Jeff 'The Dude' Dowd

Inspiration For 'Lebowski' Character Claims

UCLA Docs Killed My Mom

4/29/2014 12:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Jeff The Dude Dowd Suing UCLA
Hollywood producer Jeff Dowd -- who inspired "The Dude" character in "The Big Lebowski" -- is suing UCLA's hospital for $10 million ... saying his mom died because of poor communication between doctors, TMZ has learned.

According to the lawsuit ... Dowd's elderly mother was hospitalized March 29, 2013 suffering from bronchitis ... and was dead within a month after she got progressively worse -- suffering internal bleeding, dehydration and finally a massive stroke.

Dowd tells TMZ ... his mother was handed off from one doctor to another, often without adequate information about what meds she was taking.  Dowd says it was that breakdown in communication that led to her death.

Dowd -- who's also suing a convalescent home -- says he wants to help reform communications in the medical field ... saying hundreds of thousands of people die in hospitals every year from that kind of failure.

And that ... the Dude does NOT abide.

UCLA Med Center had no comment.

Clytemnestra

Good for him. I've had a situation that involved several doctors and it became apparent they did not really know what the others were doing. It was up to me to tell each of them what was going on. Very discouraging.

Decker

I thought that was him Mom pictured for a second.

BLUE UGLY 💩

Sue

Unbroken Chain

She was obviously very Old and she died. Let her rest. Suing is not a good look here, but look at that guy!!

Unbroken Chain

This guy produced 4 bad movies in the 90s TMZ. How is this a story?

Quinn

" I want a funking lawyer, man. I want Bill Kunstler, or Ron Kuby. "

Decker

If he wins he could buy the bates motel.

HRH Prince Michael

Firstly, My Condolences to Mr. Dowd.

Secondly, too many "Doctor$" have mistaken their
over-priced "Education" - for God-like qualities.
When, truly good doctors are few and far.
I've proven most quacks wrong, time and time again.

Finally, My Beloved Maria-Guadalupe is currently
under a "Doctor$" care. Another evil, East Indian
quack, who provided
(under Federal-Dead-Bastards orders) the same Cancerous-cells which she now battles.

Born and raised in Southern California, My Beloved
WILL improve. Or, like My Blessed Forefather King
David, the body count shall be COUNTLESS.

As, The Lord God lives,
As, The Lord God lives,
AS, THE LORD GOD LIVES:
I see Fed People.....Piles, upon piles of Fed People.

Mikey

Obama on Obamacare:

At least we can let doctors know — and your mom know — that you know what, maybe this isn’t going to help. Maybe you’re better off, uhh, not having the surgery, but, uhh, taking the painkiller.”

Factual

Most likely you going to the hospital you not going to come out the lack of communication is an oversight when most the doctors don't actually understand English.

Tony

This **** makes me so upset. My father passed away in a hospital bed at the age of 66. Died from his lungs being filled with pneumonia, and he spent 6 hours in the ER waiting no being attended, then finally when he was admitted no doctor saw him and I was physically wi th him for 6 hours looking for a registered nurse or doctor to speak with and there was none, then I had to go to work on my way back from work the hosp ital called me that he was dead. In the state of Florida only the spouse and children under 25 can sue, so my father died due to negligence of the Jackson Memorial Hospital and there's not a damn thing that can be done about it.

Sue79

Difficult to sue and win against a hospital. But go for it if you have sufficient evidence.