'Gravity' Lawsuit

Famous Writer Says

E=MC Screwed

4/30/2014 7:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0430-gravity-warner-bros-01
A best-selling novelist says she's the victim of sabotage ... by a spy from within who helped Warner Bros. create the Oscar winning flick, "Gravity."

Tess Gerritsen -- who also wrote the "Rizzoli & Isles" crime books -- says she sold the rights to her book, "Gravity" in 1999 to New Line Productions ... but says efforts to develop it into a movie fizzled.

Fast forward years later ... Gerritsen says she was aware of the Sandra Bullock movie, also called "Gravity," but at first thought the similarities to her book were coincidental.

Gerritsen claims while she tried to make her book into a screenplay she wrote new material ... scenes that included a space station being demolished by debris and the female astronaut drifting untethered through space.

Gerritsen had a weird feeling about it ... and her worst fears were confirmed when she found out someone connected to her screenplay ended up working on Bullock's "Gravity."

Another reason she's pissed -- "Gravity" pulled in more than $700 million.

Gerritsen wants a piece of THAT debris, so she's suing Warner Bros.

The studio has no comment.
update_graphic_red_bar
12:29 P.M. PDT -- The studio just gave us this response:  Warner Bros. declines comment beyond noting the statements made by Ms. Gerritsen in an October 8, 2013 news story: “Yea, 'Gravity' is a great film, but it's not based on my book," Gerritsen said, noting that she saw the movie in Bloomington over the weekend.  "Alas, the movie is not based on my book, despite the similarities," she concedes.”

cluesarethere

This crap happens all the time. Stealing is a profitable art in Hollywood

Truth

MEHHHHH... GRAVITY IS THE MOST OVERRATED POS FLICK ABOUT SPACE EVER. TOTALLY BORING. BUNCH OF SCENES OF BULLOCK PRETENDING TO BE TIRED AND OUT OF BREATH IN FRONT OF A GREEN SCREEN. RETARDED. #TRUTH!!

James R. - Los Angeles

Gerritsen.....Hollywood NEVER cheats, lies, slanders or discriminates against ANYONE in the industry. You should meet with the GRAVITY producers, explain your situation and I'm sure they will remedy the issues with lots of money. Good luck. (Big f*cking eye roll and belly laugh)

She's baaaack

I didn't get the hype of Gravity. I didn't get the hype of Sandra Bullock being nominated for an Academy Award. She's good enough, but she's certainly not Oscar material. But then, neither was Julia Roberts or Gwyneth Paltrow. No accounting for taste.

Monksolo

There was a plot to that movie?

BLUE UGLY 💩

Didn't see it

Dawn21

Writers are constantly getting screwed in Hollywood. The least creative people are the ones that get all the money and credit.

krys723

Everybody made such hype about Gravity I just didn't understand it at all

Bob

she sold the rights and didn't complain about getting paid for the project when it went no where

Mimi

The devil is in the details. Had the studio's rights to the book expired? If so, if the studio went ahead and used the book and her script anyway … Garritsen may well have a good basis for this lawsuit.

Tess Garritsen is a successful, best selling writer, not some wanna be. She has publishers behind her, and I'm sure, good lawyers. She's also experienced in negotiating book development rights. After all, her Rizzoli and Isles book rights were sold for TV production.

Methinks there's some genuine fire behind the smoke here.

Daron

That movie suck.

geabzu

I had an idea for a movie once.......it was never made......then the other day.....I saw a movie...it had a beginning a middle and an end, just like my idea.....i should sue somebody....

Timmy Boy

Overrated. That movie sucked!

Lisa

I'm not a Sandra B. fan at all and I figured it was overhyped, but I watched it and loved it! I can't see why people didn't understand it.