« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mark Cuban

PREJUDICE COMMENTS ARE ACCURATE

Says Stephen A. Smith

5/22/2014 10:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mark Cuban Prejudiced BigotedMark Cuban's candid statements about prejudice and bigotry were not only honest but CORRECT ... so says ESPN host Stephen A. Smith

"I took no issue whatsoever with what Mark Cuban said ... not only because he was forthright, very candid and honest ... but also he happens to be correct," Smith said.

Smith was referring to the hypothetical situation Cuban brought up during an interview at the GrowCo conference in Nashville ... where he said, "I know I'm prejudiced and I know I'm bigoted in a lot of different ways. If I see a black kid in a hoodie on my side of the street, I'll move to the other side of the street. If I see a white guy with a shaved head and tattoos, I'll move back to the other side of the street. None of us have pure thoughts; we all live in glass houses."

Cuban has taken some fire for the comments, but Smith says the people attacking the Dallas Mavericks owner are missing the point.

"Yes he spoke about hoodies and how if he saw a black individual with a hoodie he'd walk across the street because hes uncomfortable with that imagery ... obviously, he also alluded to a white individual with tattoos all over his body, his face and his head, he'd walk back to the other side of the street."

"So if you're gonna have a problem with what he said about the black person with the hoodie on, then you gotta have a problem with the white person he alluded to with tattoos all over."

"I'm sorry, I don't see a problem with that whatsoever. I don't think there's any ethnic group in America that should take issue with it as a personal affront to them as if he was isolating them or talking about them. He was simply being honest, forthcoming and very open about some of the fears and prejudices that he may have."

Smith concluded, "I applaud his honesty and I took absolutely positively no offense to what he had to say."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

BLUE UGLY 💩

Fake boring controversy

master

This is why its such a touchy subject, people will focus on certain parts of a statement and not listen to the mans whole point...If he were black and said this it wouldnt be a big deal media wise.. I also took from the interview he is not exactly keen on kicking sterling out of the league..

taru

Mark Cuban happens to have been raised in the most racist city in America - which is Pittsburgh so i can't blame him because he was taught that ignorance.

Ferndog68

I would move too. It's called safety first. Why risk it. Lower your chance of having problems plain and simple

Tom

So i assume he wouldn't want to live next to a black kid wearing a hoodie or white guy with tattoos?
What a stupid statement to make. Mark Cuban just shut your mouth.

lilly

Poor Cuban's wife http://fabwags.com/tiffany-stewart-cuban-mark-cubans-wife/ she is the next rochelle stein lol

Mary

I am so surprised I heard Harvey compare homosexuality to slavery on May 22 show. I thought more of Harvey than that. To compare slavery to homosexuality is crazy. There is no way to compare the two.

cluesarethere

Don't worry Mr Cuban... They are currently working on taking away the Clippers.. You are next.

FREEDOM

A FRICKEN HOODIE IS UPSETTING THE BLACK FOLK. WOW!!! I AM DISCUSTED WHEN THEY WEAR THERE PANTS DOWN TO THERE KNEES.

bill_leslie

"There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery. Then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved" -- Rev Jesse Jackson Jr - Nov 27, 1997 in a speech in Chicago.

TheTryke

The truth hurts.

Ed

I'll bet the kid in the hoodie would cross the street as well if he saw Mark Cuban coming towards him on the sidewalk.

K South West

Since when is Stephen A Smith and any other sports analyst a sociologist....Stick to pig skin and leather before your in a stickier situation

Blockboy720

I aint gon front we need more candid dialog...put everything on tha table no holding back...i hate sneaky racist!!! Haha

Brian Hughes

yea, what was he thinking?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments