Casey Kasem

Daughters to Pull Life Support

6/11/2014 1:58 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

Casey Kasem Life Support
Legendary DJ Casey Kasem will live out his final days this week surrounded by his children ... who have made the decision to withhold medication, food and fluids.

The judge in Casey's conservatorship case just reversed a ruling which required doctors to keep him alive with nourishment and meds.

The 82-year-old is currently in a Washington hospice facility.

Casey's kids tell TMZ ... their dad's health directive document states, "If the extension of my life would result in mere biological existence, devoid of cognitive function, with no reasonable hope for normal functioning, then I do not desire any form of life-sustaining procedures, including nutrition and hydration."

Casey's wife Jean was in court and furious over the judge's decision, storming out and screaming that the kids will have Casey's blood on their hands.

0515_casey_kasem_through_the_years_footer

bring back recent posts

Good for his family fighting for his wishes and letting him spend his last day (s) without that vile wife of his around. I feel sorry for the family and especially their father. He clearly was abused by his wife....on many levels.

D-INCARNATION

I can't help but feel that somehow Ash Larry is to blame..♠♠♠

liquid kitty

Fruitloop Jean needs to stop with this.

Tony Chliek

Such a shame. He made the decision for them, so they are just doing what he wanted to happen. My mom is in a nursing home and has always made it clear that she doesn't not want to be kept alive like this. She also said that she wanted her body donated to the medical school where she lived. I'm her guardian and will follow her wishes. She deserves no less.

Stephanie

Reading actual news reports shows that judge ruled this way because the hydration was causing water to build up in his lungs, causing him pain and in effect drowning him. The liquid going into the feeding tube was backing up and causing pain.

Sargio

Everybody dies. Kasey Kasem's time is up. Jean Kasem is being selfish and making a tough situation even harder. Let the man go.

EmmaL27

Time to let him go; he made his wishes clear.

tina

how can the kids do this? in the Terry Shivo case the husband had the last say. Jean has been with him 30 years?? calling her a golddigger makles no sense. she is the one who wants to keep him alive. I doubt very much if she was cut out of the will. I see this getting very ugly after he dies. the same kids who said what he wanted was most important. will ignore his will and try and go afrer his money. just watch. they will say she forced him to write it. cant have it both ways.

Caitlin

So I was at first on the children's side because it almost seemed as though the wife was trying to kill Casey. But Casey has beel kept alive and semi-well in the wife's treatment. Until now. Now that the daughter took possession, she now believes he should have his life ended because he can not live on his own. Yet with his wife caring for him, he was alive. How can you hate a woman who kept your father alive? I would do anything in my power to keep my father alive.

Chris

This is the standard procedure with hospice. I went through it with my Mother. It is gut wrenching to watch. Jean wants to prolong his life, but at this point, maybe it's best that he no longer suffers. Very sad. Casey was such a big part of my youth and I feel bad for everyone involved.

David

Kasem's wife just married him for his money so why would she care about his status as long as she gets the money. But then again, she is a total control freak and took advantage of this old man from the beginning. I hope she suffers a long time in her death bed plugged in to many life extending devices.

Gretel

You can't "pull life support" unless the patient's body can't support life on it's own. I've seen people keep their loved ones alive by means that would almost be torture. It's for themselves, not the dying person. Comfort measures are just that, and it in most cases it allows a loved one to pass peacefully and in dignity. That poor man has had enough indignity surrounding him in the last few months. I hope he passes in peace.

redgirl77

Our Grandmother had Lewy Bodys diesease along with Alzheimers and it was the most devastating, slow death. 8 long years in a catatonic state. Patients like this cannot eat or drink on their own, nor are they conscious. Their bodies just slowly shut down. His family is most likely just doing what his DNR states and they are no longer having a hospital use feeding tubes and apply fluid through his veins. But they would still be managing any pain med through his veins. He's in hospice care now, no doubt. Anyone who has not gone through this with a loved one, a.) count yourself lucky, because it's the worst thing in the world and b.) keep your vicious, ignorant judgments to yourselves.

ginabellina

Very sad situation. Not sure how good of care he had been receiving under Jean. Herd comments about bedsores. I can only imagine.

lisa

How very sad must have been a very hard decision to have to make