YouTube Star Michelle Phan

Sued for Ripping DJ Kaskade Hits

In the Name of Makeup

7/18/2014 1:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Michelle Phan SuedMichelle Phan's built a YouTube empire of 6.6 million followers ... but she did it by jacking huge hits from Kaskade and Deadmau5 and slapping them on her hugely popular videos ... according to a new lawsuit.

Phan -- known as the "beauty bestie" -- is famous for the makeup tips she's been posting since 2007 on YouTube -- but Ultra Records says she's been using music from some of its huge artists without permission. Ultra is home to EDM giants Deadmau5, DJ Kaskade, and Calvin Harris, and many more.

According to the suit filed this week in Los Angeles ... the offending Phan videos have racked up more than 150 MILLION views. Ultra wants Phan to reveal how much cash she's made off her YouTube channel ... and it wants ALL of her profits.

Phan's one of the most popular YouTubers out there. She's even parlayed her online success into an endorsement deal with Dr. Pepper, Lancome ... and her own makeup line.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

BLUE UGLY 💩

She hates being Asian, and she's not really that pretty

Homer

What *******s, shes giving them free advertisement.

Pcofwork

That's just greedy as hell, share the wealth you arseholes!

Unbroken Chain

Huh. I've never heard of her. Isn't techno just a bunch offed up sounds. It's certainly not music. These guys should get paid for their music in the first place. They should consider themselves lucky

Unbroken Chain

Shoulbnt*

Hugh Janus

Pay up buttercup!

PopGlitch

If it doesn't belong to you then you can't put it in your video without the expressed permission of the copyright owner. It isn't a difficult concept. If she needs music for her videos then there are plenty of copyright free electronic websites with good music.

tgrfan42069

this is why most have no respect for production companies and what not..this is a dick move by them

Factual

Pay up.

Netty

Wow, that sucks. :( I like her videos. They're really helpful sometimes. When Halloween comes, her videos are the ones I turn to for makeup advice. I love all the different characters she transforms into. I also can understand where Ultra Records is coming from too. Gotta ask for permission first. I hope everything works out for her.

msssangel

I guess they waited until she racked up enough cash to cry foul..

the truth

they will scare her and then there will b a settlement

Semipsychedelic

He's not entitled to ALL her profits. Maybe a percentage like 5% I've seen her videos I don't even notice the music at all just the make up.

onetrickstallion